Lighting suggestion

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
TRS
Site Supporter

Lighting suggestion

Post by TRS »

I built a light tent for taking photos of my pipes and my brother-in-law's wife's jewelry. It works pretty well but my lights aren't quite up to par. What kind of lights are some of you folks who take nice pictures using, if you don't mind? I've got 3 daylight cfl's that put out 1600 lumens each and it still seems a little dim. Thanks
DMI

Re: Lighting suggestion

Post by DMI »

I use these:
Ebay UK item 230379140776
Trumpet Top DAYLIGHT BULB 32w BC = (B22 - Bayonet cap)
also available in ES and 20w

simulated natural daylight
5000k balanced neutral colour
Ideal for product photography arts & crafts & hobbies anywhere you need a clean crisp light for intricate work and true colour definition

80% Energy Saving uses 32w power - gives 160w light

Specifications Lumens - 2030(63.45 pw @ 1m) CRI - 84.1

The light from them is amazingly clear and I'll be getting another two for the workshop. The 'bulbs' are very fragile though.

David
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Just the kind of thing I have been looking for. I currently use 2 x 60W daylight bulbs and while the light they give off is a nice colour, its not bright enough, Im going to grab two of these :)

Great post!
DMI wrote:I use these:
Ebay UK item 230379140776
Trumpet Top DAYLIGHT BULB 32w BC = (B22 - Bayonet cap)
also available in ES and 20w

simulated natural daylight
5000k balanced neutral colour
Ideal for product photography arts & crafts & hobbies anywhere you need a clean crisp light for intricate work and true colour definition

80% Energy Saving uses 32w power - gives 160w light

Specifications Lumens - 2030(63.45 pw @ 1m) CRI - 84.1

The light from them is amazingly clear and I'll be getting another two for the workshop. The 'bulbs' are very fragile though.

David
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The most important thing is to use full spectrum bulbs - the ones that are 5000K seem to provide the best balance of daylight-like color, especially when coupled with the ability to use custom white balance on your camera. I use the 100W equiv (23W actual I think) "Daylight" CFL bulbs at Lowes here in the states, and I think Home Depot and Ace carry similar products. Just make sure it's 5000K (degrees kelvin, the color temperature).
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Very good info, gents! It seems the trickiest part of pipe making sometimes is taking pictures afterward.
Thanks!
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
SWM

Post by SWM »

Sorringowl wrote:Very good info, gents! It seems the trickiest part of pipe making sometimes is taking pictures afterward.
Thanks!
I do agree on that.
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)