new knife, and subtle geek imagery....

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

new knife, and subtle geek imagery....

Post by KurtHuhn »

Finished this one after I got everything else accomplished today:

Yes, that's a stylized Enterprise insignia. I wanted to try to do a shield inset, and this was an obvious choice. :)

As a side note, this knife kicked my ass while shaping the tang and kicker. This was originally going to be a much more robust blade, but one slip-up on the belt grinder, and the entire thing became much more slim and trim.

As you can see, this one has liners. I made them out of .029" 410 stainless steel. The pins are also stainless steel, as is the shield. First time incorporating stainless steel of any kind in a knife. It was far easier to work with than I had originally thought, and it's waaay easier to come by than nickel silver.

I definitely learned several things while making this one - over the course of the three weeks that it took me to do it. I almost gave up, but I had vowed to finish every folding knife I start, because I will undoubtedly learn something every time. Well, I definitely learned a few things. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: new knife, and subtle geek imagery....

Post by TRS »

KurtHuhn wrote:Yes, that's a stylized Enterprise insignia.
:lol:

Very slick!
Nick

Post by Nick »

KKKKAAAHHHNNN!!!!!
meathod

Post by meathod »

I really like all your knife posts, and look forward to seeing more...

I may have missed this in a past post, but what type of steel are you using for the blade, high carbon steel i pressume? I'm also assuming you do your own tempering, from the forge in your avatar...

So, have you ever tried making a damascus blade?
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks guys!

The steel I usually use for folding knives is O1 tool steel. It is not stainless, but is very high carbon and will outperform just about all stainless steels in edge retention. It's also a very tough steel, allowing for very hard use without failing. It's overkill for a small folding knife - but that's not a bad thing.

I do all of my own heat treating, including hardening and tempering. I'll either use my gas forge, or a high-temp electric oven I built for just that function, depending on the needs of the steel I'm using.

I have not done anything with damascus yet. It's far too expensive to buy in bar stock form, and my forge welding skills aren't up to snuff at this time. Some day however....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Like the knife, but i'm on team Fett.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

As I said elsewhere, not geeky at all!
:thumbsup:

But mine's bigger... :fencing:

That's 47 inches of sharp, double-edged pointy spring steel. A little harder to keep in your pocket, though... :lol:

Fear not, Kurt, we'll convert you to the dark side one of these days.

The first time I see you turn out a pattern-welded sax blade (do one for your next folder!) My diabolical laughter will be heard for miles around.... :wink:
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Awesome Alan!

You guys are pushing me towards Step-by-Step knifemaking, much to the chagrin of my wife. I really should concentrate on getting pipemaking down first though.....
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Alan L wrote: The first time I see you turn out a pattern-welded sax blade (do one for your next folder!) My diabolical laughter will be heard for miles around.... :wink:
Okay, Alan - you're on! Patern welded sax-blade slipjoint, coming up. I hope for the sake of Rhode Island that this doesn't drive me any more insane than I already am. :shock:

Challenge accepted, prepare to laugh maniacally.

And just remember, it's all your fault. :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

KurtHuhn wrote:Challenge accepted, prepare to laugh maniacally.

And just remember, it's all your fault. :twisted:
Bring it on, pipe-boy! :lol: I'm already gloating, the laughter will be sweet.

I'm working on one right now that while not a folder, will be a VERY nontraditional mounting for an elaborately pattern-welded sax blade. Ought to shake things up a bit if I can pull off the mounting, the blade is done.

Hint: use 1084 or 1095 and 15n20. That's the easiest combo for high-contrast damascus.

Someday you'll thank me. Someday I'll also post pics of the bamboo freehand billiard you forced me to make...Tsuge meets educated redneck meets some Danes on acid... :mrgreen:
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Kurt, I apologize, because I almost never do this (what, never? No, never! No Never? well, hardly ever...)

But this video clip is the most sublime mashup of geekery I have ever seen in my 39.9 years, and that's saying something. :shock:

To set the stage: It's Star Trek (original series) meets Monty Python. Say no more, wink wink nudge nudge... :notworthy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luVjkTEIoJc

If you don't spit your beverage of choice all over your keyboard, you are not a geek. :lol:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Can't breath!!! I was chuckling all the way through, but then right at "I have to push the pram a lot" I absolutely lost it. :thumbsup:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

That had to be one of the best You Tube videos that I have ever seen!
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
Frank

Post by Frank »

:ROFL: Hilarious ...say no more!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett