I also make hookahs!

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
meathod

I also make hookahs!

Post by meathod »

Stays lit from oil filled resevoir and wick. Then with the flick of a switch, a vacuum fan pulls the smoke through and billows it out into the glass dome, which you can then inhale from. The bank of batteries on the base powers the whole thing, so you can bring it outside and such.

here is the lit up dome, which projects fractal like patterns on the walls!

Here is the pump i made a few weeks later, with upgraded motor...

and a close up of the main bowl, wick, etc. I put a patina on the copper by burrying it in salt ammonia and vinegar. Then i let it sit in a garbage bag with ammonia fumes. The ends were plugged, so i didn't patina the inside.

Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Nick

Re: I also make hookahs!

Post by Nick »

Forgive me, what's the motor for?
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Nick wrote:Forgive me, what's the motor for?
Duh, Nick, the motor makes it an electric hookah.

TJ
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ooooohhh. So, what does an electric hooka do, exactly?

You know, I wonder what would happen to the smoke if you ran an electric current through it?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nick wrote:You know, I wonder what would happen to the smoke if you ran an electric current through it?

Geek. :wink:

But... hmmm.... Maybe you get a cool plasma effect, like the goofy things at Spencer Gifts?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
meathod

Post by meathod »

haha, the motor runs the small vacuum fan thing. As soon as you turn it on, it starts filling the glass dome with smoke. It will keep drawing smoke untill the bowl runs out. You could just sit back and watch it fill the room if you like...

It might be a bit of a problem, because you have to keep up with it, or else you'll have tons of smoke billowing out. I only used this a few times with tobacco free shisha before dismantleing it for other projects, so it wasn't a big problem for me. My guess is that with repeated use, the tar would build up to a point where the motor would jam. Also, smoking out of copper isn't the best for both taste and health reasons. This was a sculpture project for school... functional, but, not practical.
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ahhh, so its like a self smoking pipe. "The ultimate for the man too lazy to puff on his own pipe!"

Really cool bud! I still think it'd be cool to run an electrical current through the smoke. or better yet, through the water the smoke passes through! It'd be like the "electrolysis narghil." Impurities removed by the magic of electricity!
FredS

Post by FredS »

Why did you feel the need to mention bud?
Nobody said anything about bud.
This thing is for tobacco.
Just because you hear The Grateful Dead in your head when you look at it doesn't mean it's for bud.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Steampunky. Mentally, I can't follow the smoke path or understand all the extra contraptions on board. I need some kind of schematic to make sense of it.
themathclub

Post by themathclub »

that is so cool. wish i had one lol