Something for me this time

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Something for me this time

Post by KurtHuhn »

I learned how to make a slipjoint this weekend - mostly because I want one.

This one is mine. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Charl

Re: Something for me this time

Post by Charl »

Stunning knife, Kurt!
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Another wow!!! Now for the dummy question. What's a slipjoint, is it the method of folding the blade or is it the type of knife?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks guys!

Bob, a slipjoint is a folding knife that doesn't have any kind of locking mechanism. The spring on the back holds the blade opened or closed - kinda like a Bou Scout knife, or a swiss army knife. It sounds simple, and it is in terms of number of components, but when you factor in the math and twiddling necessary to make it all work, it ends up being a little labor intensive unless you're having everything laser cut at a factory. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JimBridger

Post by JimBridger »

Very nice for a first slippy! I'm making my first friction folder at the moment and a slipjoint is on the list as my next project or maybe a framlock. I agree that the design process can be VERY time consuming and labor intensive. Getting all the pieces to work right and to make it look good at the same time can drive a person insane.
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

That looks awesome! Love the slim profile. What material did you use for the handle? Is the patterning from the material itself, or created to prevent slippage/aesthetic appeal?
Cheers,
Rob
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yes and yes. :)

The material is G10, commonly known as circuit board material. It comes in a load of colors, though black is most popular. The pattern is the fiberglass fabric, and it does provide a modicum of anti-slip properties - though it's way better if you bead blast it to bring the pattern to the surface.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

Cool. It looked like some kind of composite, but I wasn't sure.
Cheers,
Rob
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

Very nice! I like the slim profile very much. I can never seem to find a slim knife like that. Everything is extra bulky with a belt clip which is exactly what I don't want.
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.