Pipe tools!

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
smokindawg

Pipe tools!

Post by smokindawg »

I bought the tool a while back mainly because it was on sale and I thought might be useable for pipemaking. Only thing is, the drill bit is the wrong size for fitting the airway and too long anyway. So it came to mind that if I had a metal lathe, that I could make a pin to fit the mortise, that way I could square the shank, even after the pipe is shaped. I didn't have a metal lathe, so it set in the box for a while.

Not so long ago, I finally got a small metal lathe and made a pin to fit the mortise size I use for Delrin. I tried it out a few days ago and it works great.

The pin is stainless and I'm thinking I could make different sizes for doing repair work on pipe shanks that get cracked or broken.

Total cost, tool: $5 and pin was $0.

Pipe Maker in the Making!
FredS

Re: Pipe tools!

Post by FredS »

Cool tool.

BTW - To those without a metal lathe (like me), you can make little pins & plugs & bushings in a drill press.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Nick

Post by Nick »

Most folks just use pin gauges for this.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

For those that don't have a metal lathe these work well in a wood lathe and drill press as well to square the shank to stem junction.
Pipe Maker in the Making!