This one is going to Scotland...

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

This one is going to Scotland...

Post by KurtHuhn »

Still needs a coat of Danish oil, but this one is finished and will be heading to Scotland. The handle and sheath/scabbard are African Blackwood, same stuff Highland Pipes are made of, and the fittings are all nickel silver.

Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Re: This one is going to Scotland...

Post by ToddJohnson »

Kurt,

That's awesome!

TJ
buster

Post by buster »

That's the coolest knife I've ever seen.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Well now, where the hell to even begin critiqueing this piece of.... OK, just kidding. :lol:

A sgian dubh any Scotsman would be proud to own, great job.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
REH

Post by REH »

Very Nice!!!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

It would tuck nicely into my hairy sporran. 8)
JimBridger

Post by JimBridger »

Steel type? OAL?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks guys! I had a lot of fun making it, but it feels good to finally have it one piece. Er... two.
kbadkar wrote:It would tuck nicely into my hairy sporran. 8)
Kris, I don't kow if I want to know about yer hairy sporran. But I can tell you that mine is bigger and swings lower. :twisted:
JimBridger wrote:Steel type? OAL?
Steel is 1095, differentially heat treated, but the hamon is not polished out. It will show over the years though. It's also a hair under 9" OAL. The gent it's going to is about 7 feet tall, and wanted something that was handmade, devoid of plastic (as is customary these days :shock: ), suitable for black tie affairs of full highland dress, and fit his rather large self. The blade is a hair over 4", making it slightly larger than most Sgian Dubhs sold these days. Frankly, I can't imagine one any smaller - this fits my ham-fists perfectly.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JimBridger

Post by JimBridger »

I worked with a guy from Scotland this summer and I had always thought that these knives were as big as the one you made, but he said most he's seen are more in the 1"-2" blade range. I wonder if that's tradition or pressure from UK knife legislation. Needless to say, I like the larger version better. Great job!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The smaller blades are there only because of legislative pressure. The larger blades are more historically correct. See the appropriate laws. on the subject.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JimBridger

Post by JimBridger »

That's what I figured. I'm on the British blades forum as well and the laws in the UK seem pretty strict. It's a shame it is impacting their traditions though which I believe are still protected under the law.
Frank

Post by Frank »

JimBridger wrote:That's what I figured. I'm on the British blades forum as well and the laws in the UK seem pretty strict. It's a shame it is impacting their traditions though which I believe are still protected under the law.
They have similar laws in California, but they usually apply to double edged blades. Like this, for instance: Linder
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tradition is actually protected in Scotland. It is generally illegal to carry a knife around with you or display one on your person - but one of the exceptions is when you're dressed in tradition costume. So, wear a kilt, carry a knife. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Very cool, Kurt.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

KurtHuhn wrote: It is generally illegal to carry a knife around with you or display one on your person - SNIP
So what do you do if you need to cut something? Jeez. I am curious, though -- is the blade sharpened or just ceremonial? And how does it fasten to the belt or, er, hairy whatever. Really beautiful, congratulations.

Jack
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

JHowell wrote: So what do you do if you need to cut something? Jeez. I am curious, though -- is the blade sharpened or just ceremonial? And how does it fasten to the belt or, er, hairy whatever. Really beautiful, congratulations.
Thanks!

Laws in the UK are strange. The pertinent phrase is:
It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches." [CJA 1988 section 139(1)]
It's that "without lawful authority or good reason" piece that effs you up. Unfortunately, it leaves it open to interpretation by the police and the magistrates as to whether you had a good reason. Fortunately, tradition and religion have been protected by legal precedent.

I'm told that most sgian dubh that are sold in stores in the UK are made of low grade stainless steel, have plastic handles and sheaths, and are unsharpened - or if they are sharpened, quickly go dull. For all intents and purposes, they're strictly ceremonial. This one, however, is sharp. The customer considers the fake ones quite a tragedy. :D

When worn as part of highland attire, a sgian dubh is tucked into the sock (which are knee-high and secured with garters then folder over), with just the pommel showing. The whole ensemble can either be a daily wear affair, or the equiv of a full tuxedo.

And to stave off the inevitable next question - I do not currently own a kilt. My wife has forbidden it. Even a Utilikilt in black denim was turned down. :(
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

KurtHuhn wrote:
kbadkar wrote:It would tuck nicely into my hairy sporran. 8)
Kris, I don't kow if I want to know about yer hairy sporran. But I can tell you that mine is bigger and swings lower. :twisted:
It's almost 9" and fits comfortably in your ham-fists? Okay, I'll take your word for it, just so you don't bring out the olive oil and leather chaps. :shock:
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

*Imagines Kurt using his "ham fists" to don leather chaps under his traditional kilt before applying olive oil*

Oh good lord....my brain! It burns! Ahhhhhhhh! :filth-n-foul:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Well done, Kurt. That's awesome!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

JHowell wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote: It is generally illegal to carry a knife around with you or display one on your person - SNIP
Wouldn't displaying one on your "person" open you up to charges of indecent exposure anyway?

TJ :D