Other stuff that I carve when not messing with Pipes

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
Ladyblacksword

Other stuff that I carve when not messing with Pipes

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Here's a knife that I did out of deer antler.
(The knife work itself is by my pop, who does it for a living. The handle is my work.)
Yes, it's still for sale. PM me if you're curious.

Click the link. Pic is too big to inflict on this page.

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/ ... Design.jpg

Another knife, this time a little smaller, with a Damascus blade.
(Also dad's work on the staby bits, and still for sale.)

http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/ ... Design.jpg

A pendant I was commissioned to carve in reconstituted Jet stone.
Copper chain is hand forged by me as well.

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs26/f/2008/ ... Design.jpg

A pair of hairsticks I carved from Ebony for a customer.
I'm pretty pleased with how these came out.

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs34/f/2008/ ... Design.jpg

A pair of chopsticks carved to look like natural bamboo canes. Ironically, the wood is actually bamboo.

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs41/f/2009/ ... Design.jpg

Here's a little metalwork to see if you're awake.
White oak leaf pendant raised and formed from copper.
(still for sale.)

http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/ ... Design.jpg

Let me know what you think,
LJ
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I gotta ask - who's your pop? Maybe I know him. :)

That's all stellar work. You've got a great artistic eye. Thank you for posting these!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

KurtHuhn wrote:I gotta ask - who's your pop? Maybe I know him. :)

That's all stellar work. You've got a great artistic eye. Thank you for posting these!
You probably don't. 99% of his work is fully functional hunting knives and cutlery. Art knives aren't his thing. I had to talk him into these, and he ended up handing them off to me after getting a totally lukewarm reception out of his customers at a couple shows. His typical customer just isn't into paying $250 for a one of a kind knife, one that's really designed for the collector.

I am glad to hear that you like my work. I have days where I get in a bad mood and consider hanging it up, especially when it's been awhile since something actually sold. Unfortunately, this work doesn't pay my bills yet- my hubby's job as a convenience store clerk does that right now, just barely. I'd like to take that over with my art one day, but it seems very far away sometimes.

LJ
Frank

Post by Frank »

Ladyblacksword wrote:I am glad to hear that you like my work. I have days where I get in a bad mood and consider hanging it up, especially when it's been awhile since something actually sold. Unfortunately, this work doesn't pay my bills yet- my hubby's job as a convenience store clerk does that right now, just barely. I'd like to take that over with my art one day, but it seems very far away sometimes.
Don't lose heart - in any art/craft you have to "pay your dues" - any of these pro and semi-pro pipemakers will tell you that. Establishing a name in the art world can sometimes be tougher than crafting the art.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Frank wrote:
Ladyblacksword wrote:I am glad to hear that you like my work. I have days where I get in a bad mood and consider hanging it up, especially when it's been awhile since something actually sold. Unfortunately, this work doesn't pay my bills yet- my hubby's job as a convenience store clerk does that right now, just barely. I'd like to take that over with my art one day, but it seems very far away sometimes.
Don't lose heart - in any art/craft you have to "pay your dues" - any of these pro and semi-pro pipemakers will tell you that. Establishing a name in the art world can sometimes be tougher than crafting the art.
Thanks. It's the encouragement of other artists and things like the commission for a pipe that I'm working on that keep me going.
(Yes, I'll post a pic when it's done.)
LJ
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Those are amazing!!!!
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

tritrek wrote:Those are amazing!!!!
*blush* Thank you.
I was honestly a bit nervous about posting on here. I figured I'd get a lot of flak about modifying a commercially made pipe rather than starting from scratch, and I didn't expect anyone to really notice the post here about the other stuff I do.

Now I'm just kinda amazed at the positive response.
LJ
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Ladyblacksword wrote:
*blush* Thank you.
I was honestly a bit nervous about posting on here. I figured I'd get a lot of flak about modifying a commercially made pipe rather than starting from scratch, and I didn't expect anyone to really notice the post here about the other stuff I do.

LJ
Well, I did :) I was actually thinking about trying to carve some pipes' surfaces but never had enough courage to actually do it... now that I saw your carved pear pipe I'm finally convinced.
And before you ask: no, I never did such a carving just wanna try it ;)
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

tritrek wrote:
Ladyblacksword wrote:
*blush* Thank you.

LJ
Well, I did :) I was actually thinking about trying to carve some pipes' surfaces but never had enough courage to actually do it... now that I saw your carved pear pipe I'm finally convinced.
And before you ask: no, I never did such a carving just wanna try it ;)
Go for it! It's downright fun.
And if you can find a really cheap pipe, it is a great way to salvage it and make something you're proud to smoke.
I've got a couple $14.95 pipes waiting to be worked on. They're even briar! Not fantastic grain, but briar is briar when it comes to the bowl, and you won't really see the grain if it's heavily carved.
I've even been thinking about going for low quality grained burls for my first pipes from scratch.

Just remember, you need sharp burrs, a steady hand, a decent flexshaft and patience. And go slow till you get a feel for how fast it's cutting.

LJ
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ladyblacksword wrote:
You probably don't. 99% of his work is fully functional hunting knives and cutlery. Art knives aren't his thing. I had to talk him into these, and he ended up handing them off to me after getting a totally lukewarm reception out of his customers at a couple shows. His typical customer just isn't into paying $250 for a one of a kind knife, one that's really designed for the collector.
Sounds like he and I agree on a few things. The only knives and pipes I make are what's designed to be USED, and even abused if needed (though I don't encourage it, and warranties tend to lapse in that case).

The hand made pipe and knife worlds are very similar in a lot of respects. They're both made up of a couple distinct market segments - the utilitarian, and the "art" grade. Utilitarian pieces can be infused with an artistic eye to give it pleasing proportions and flow, and it's the experience of the maker that gives it things like balance, usability, and usefulness. The "art" portion of both markets, or the portion that could be described as "art knife" or "art pipe" involve much more work, are really not designed to be used - despite protestations to the contrary by the makers. Things like the use of abalone inlay next to gold-filled engraving can be absolutely beautiful, but I can't think of anyone willing to drop such a thing in their pocket and take it on a camping trip. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Nice work LJ. You are indeed very talented. Hang in there, I have never met an artist that became famous overnight.
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

KurtHuhn wrote:
Ladyblacksword wrote:
Sounds like he and I agree on a few things. The only knives and pipes I make are what's designed to be USED, and even abused if needed (though I don't encourage it, and warranties tend to lapse in that case).

The hand made pipe and knife worlds are very similar in a lot of respects. They're both made up of a couple distinct market segments - the utilitarian, and the "art" grade. Utilitarian pieces can be infused with an artistic eye to give it pleasing proportions and flow, and it's the experience of the maker that gives it things like balance, usability, and usefulness. The "art" portion of both markets, or the portion that could be described as "art knife" or "art pipe" involve much more work, are really not designed to be used - despite protestations to the contrary by the makers. Things like the use of abalone inlay next to gold-filled engraving can be absolutely beautiful, but I can't think of anyone willing to drop such a thing in their pocket and take it on a camping trip. :)
It sounds like you guys do agree on a few things. (me too!)
I'll drop you a PM with his website.
Bear in mind- there's lots of books out there on knifemaking, and he doesn't like to talk shop. Unlike me, he's not the type to hang out on forums to discuss methods. He's been doing what he does for 30 years, so he's past the stage where he wants to change what he's doing a lot- his customers would probably be freaked out if he did.
(Exactly the reason they mostly ignored that pair of handles I carved.)

The odd thing about me is that I'm the type who likes to makes stuff on both sides of the fence.
Those knives for instance- the Ribbons & Spirals knife is usable, if you are kind to the deer antler and clean it after use, but it's not a utilitarian design. The Damascus Spirals knife isn't usable at all, really, just a collectors piece. On the other hand, I recently added a line of carved cabinet knobs to my offerings. ( Click to see them. ) They're very utilitarian.

With pipes, I'd like to do the same. My modified work is intended to be tucked in your pocket, the textures created by the carving are meant to invite touch and handling.
But I'd also eventually like to do some totally collector oriented sculptural pieces. (I have this idea for a lover's pipe I've been kicking around, for instance...)
It seems to me that many people limit themselves to one or the other unnecessarily.

I just hope I can work out the skills needed to make stuff people actually want.

LJ
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Olivier wrote:Nice work LJ. You are indeed very talented. Hang in there, I have never met an artist that became famous overnight.
Thanks. *blush*
I'm not sure I want to be "famous". I think that would be the kind of thing that would keep me out of the shop. I'd rather win the lottery so that I could build my dream shop and spend all the time I wanted in it with my hubby. At least, the time not spent in my dream garden, or smoking the dream pipes I've ogled....
I think I'd just like to be selling stuff as soon as it was finished. Quietly busy would be better than famous, I think.

LJ