A new stabby from the workshop

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

A new stabby from the workshop

Post by KurtHuhn »

Actually, more of a "choppy" than a "stabby".

5" blade of 1084, differentially hardened, and etched for a no-frills finish that you don't have to worry about scratching. It's shipping in the AM to it's new owner.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Functional and practical - very nice.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Very interresting temperline you created there. Looks like a great working knife and with the high carbon content and thickness at the cutting edge it will probably last forever.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Looks stout and well shaped!

Ever think about using that micarta as a stem spacer? I bet somebody would like it. Like me, maybe... :lol:
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nice, Kurt. How did you harden it, if I might ask. Do you have a high-temp oven?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Alan L wrote:Looks stout and well shaped!

Ever think about using that micarta as a stem spacer? I bet somebody would like it. Like me, maybe... :lol:
You been reading my notes again? :twisted:

I have some G10 cylinders here that I've thinking would make for an interesting stem ring. The nice thing about these is that the material is laid out lengthwise so you can see the grain when you have thin sections - unlike the sheets of G10 and micarta where the grain of the material runs horizontal to it's thickness.

Maybe I should get on that? :D
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote:Nice, Kurt. How did you harden it, if I might ask. Do you have a high-temp oven?
Thanks, Jeff! I do, actually. I have my gas forge where I heat treated this knife, and I'm finishing up construction of my electric heat treat oven this weekend - hopefully. This mess:
viewtopic.php?t=3764
is actually me assembling the electronics for it. I have the frame welded up, IFBs stacked, and I just need to figure out the best way to mount the door (side or bottom swing).

Since this is 1084, the heat treat was really painless. After a few normalizing cycles I brought it up to temp, let it soak for a couple minutes, then quenched in hot oil and tempered. Luckily Karin wasn't home, because until I get my electric HT oven finished I use the small convection/toaster oven to temper - and the whole house will smell like smoked oil. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Great looking knife, Kurt.

I have used sheets of Micarta for stem spacers on pipes. I made 12-15 pipes with sheet Micarta back when I didn't have the shop equipment to produce flat surfaces in materials. It works, sands, polishes and looks good.

bob
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

KurtHuhn wrote:You been reading my notes again? :twisted:
Nah, but you know what they say, "sick minds think alike" or something like that... :tongue:
FredS

Post by FredS »

KurtHuhn wrote:Luckily Karin wasn't home, because until I get my electric HT oven finished I use the small convection/toaster oven to temper - and the whole house will smell like smoked oil. :)
Oh baby, I know that drill. A couple of years ago, I was rebuilding an engine for my hot rod and I sprayed a hight temp clear coat on my polished valve covers. In order to cure correctly, it needs to go through a couple of heat cycles, so I waited until everyone else was gone and put them in the oven. I didn't realize that there was packing (looks like steel wool) under the baffle where pvc valve goes in and it was still soaked in oil. Even though I had 3 hours to air out the house before Kim got home, it didn't help. She got a new oven the next day.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Oh, man. That's a bad one - motor oil has a very acrid and unique smell. Luckily I use plain mineral oil to quench in, so at worst it smells like paraffin - like when you've just blown out a candle. Only 100x more volume. A little Febreeze usually takes care of that, and nobody is any the wiser. :D
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com