This is actually normal in my house....

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

This is actually normal in my house....

Post by KurtHuhn »

Karin comes downstairs and comes upon this scene in the kitchen:

"What the F*** are you doing now?!" was all she could manage.

I laughed so hard I almost fell over. I swear, she has the patience of a saint with my tinkering and playing with toys, but sometimes she seriously does not know what to do with me. :twisted:

This is actually me testing out a PID controller for a heat treat oven. A few of you guys probably recognize it. And maybe have had similar scenes in YOUR kitchen. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Re: This is actually normal in my house....

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:This is actually me testing out a PID controller for a heat treat oven. A few of you guys probably recognize it. And maybe have had similar scenes in YOUR kitchen. :D
Strangely enough I actually used to enjoy solving Integral and Derivative problems in Applied Maths.

That picture is similar to what the living room coffee table looked like when I first started model building. The Boss set up a hobby table in the bedroom and marched me and my "stuff" in there, pronto.

This is the state of my hobby table ATM (Ignore the unfinished fireplace in the corner. I'll get to it one of these years):

Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

KurtHuhn wrote: And maybe have had similar scenes in YOUR kitchen. :D
Actually, that's about what my son's bedroom looked like from about the age 10 until he moved out at 18. Used to drive his mother nuts!

When he was about 13, I built him a workbench for his bedroom - with an enclosed cabinet underneath (set back about 18" for knee room) to stow his "stuff" ... That about set her into orbit! (hehe)
NateTheBookie

Post by NateTheBookie »

Hehe... I used to do the same thing to my mom. I had an old drafting table that took up about half of my room, and was consistently covered in bits and pieces of various projects (Robot parts, Clay, Balsa, Random computer bits, etc.) Eventually she gave up trying to get me to clean it, as long as everything was off the floor and on the table, that was ok. Now I have a big shed for the same purpose, that saves me from driving my roommates nuts! (though recent projects have expanded my operations to the garage as well). :)
restever99

Post by restever99 »

"What the F*** are you doing now?!"
Ah the memories. If I had a nickle for everytime my mother or girlfriends said that. Well...I'd have a good size workshop to put it all.
When life hands you lemons, light your pipe and contimplate what to do with those lemons.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

KurtHuhn wrote:Karin comes downstairs and comes upon this scene in the kitchen:

"What the F*** are you doing now?!" was all she could manage.

I laughed so hard I almost fell over. I swear, she has the patience of a saint with my tinkering and playing with toys, but sometimes she seriously does not know what to do with me. :twisted:

This is actually me testing out a PID controller for a heat treat oven. A few of you guys probably recognize it. And maybe have had similar scenes in YOUR kitchen. :D

I would have that scene in my kitchen....If I could afford a heat treat oven :(
I just get crap for the smell of quenching oil from the basement or the noise of the air compressor in the garage. Oh yeah and now the wmell of pipe tobacco :banghead:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Philthy wrote:I would have that scene in my kitchen....If I could afford a heat treat oven :(
I can't afford one - and couldn't at the time. Instead I assembled one from pieces I bought over time. It's a lot easier to afford a heat treat oven when you buy the parts over the course of six months and assemble it yourself. The most expensive component was the insulating firebrick, but I seem to recall seeing someone make one out of inswool and coating it with satanite - similar to a small gas forge. That PID controller only cost me about $35 if I recall, and it was the second most expensive part.
I just get crap for the smell of quenching oil from the basement or the noise of the air compressor in the garage. Oh yeah and now the wmell of pipe tobacco :banghead:
Oh yeah, I used to get that too. But then I started using lightweight mineral oil as a quenchant and it just smells like someone blew out a couple candles.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Actually I don't get much grief for the quench smell one since I switched to olive oil. When it was used motor oil though, Oh momma! :takethat:

Hhmmm like that idea of piece at a time for the heat treat oven. Do you happen to have a parts list you could email me? The oven itself with firebricks I could swing, its the electrical components that would eat my lunch.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Philthy wrote:Hhmmm like that idea of piece at a time for the heat treat oven. Do you happen to have a parts list you could email me? The oven itself with firebricks I could swing, its the electrical components that would eat my lunch.
Actually, the electrical bits aren't all that bad, especially when they can be bought piece by piece. Here's my parts list from my notes:

PID temp controller with SSR (solid state relay) output:
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page ... ducts_id=3
$44.50

25A SSR for switching on/off the kanthal element (need 2):
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page ... ducts_id=9
$15.00

Heat sink for above SSR (need 2):
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page ... ucts_id=45
$10.00

K-type hi-temp thermocouple for above PID. Note, this is an ultra high temp model designed for continuous 2300F operation:
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page ... ucts_id=39
$23.50

Kanthal wire. Need 240V 15-17A:
http://www.duralite.com/store/scripts/p ... roduct=108
$25.25

Might need staple wire to hold the elements in:
http://www.duralite.com/store/scripts/p ... roduct=110
$3.75

Need fire brick for the body:
http://www.elliscustomknifeworks.com/
$4.50 each

The running total without firebrick is less than $150. The bricks actually are expensive, and depending on where you are, you might be able to find them relatively inexpensively if you source them locally. I also once saw an electric heat treat oven made using Inswool and the interior coated in satanite - which would be an inexpensive way to go about making one.

Beyond the above, I just used some cheap angle steel and flat bar steel from the local hardware store and welded it up to make a frame. Other folks, however, bolt their frame together. You also need some hi-temp hookup wire and a couple stainless bolts, as well as a box to house the PID, a switch to turn the thing on and off, and a breaker or two if you get really high-class.

If you decide to tackle the project, let me know. I'm sure I can help you along with it.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JimBridger

Post by JimBridger »

KurtHuhn wrote: If you decide to tackle the project, let me know. I'm sure I can help you along with it.
Well, you've convinced me. My friend and I have decided to try and make one. I've been heat treating on a forge and an electric ht oven would really allow for way better control over the process. Any chance you could either point me in the right direction for some plans on how to build this thing or give a general "how to" yourself?
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Kurt, thanks very much for the breakdown. I will get around to it and I will contact you I am sure. Need to catch up on some knife orders first. Then there is that nasty pipe making side project thing that sidelined me (still sidelining me) That damn day job thing is getting in the way of my projects! :banghead:
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I'm glad to see that someone else realizes the workshop potential of the kitchen, lol.
I got a tall workbench that my Dad made from some angle steel and wood when my and my better half moved here in April. It wouldn't fit in my "lair" so she turned it into an island in the kitchen.
Needless to say, 2 weeks later when I had 2 chainsaws torn apart all over the kitchen, tools and the first of my "salvaged timbers," she decided if you can't beat em, join em.
The next day when a friend walked in he was slightly disturbed because in the kitchen alone I was re-building a chainsaw, Jenny was disassembling & cleaning her rifles on "my" workbench, and our "together time" project was re-building a washer... also in the kitchen.
If ever there was a doubt that we were meant for one another, it was extinguished that day, lol.

She has since then however gotten in the habit of re-locating my projects to our office/workshop/guest bedroom, lol. Gotta love her
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

hilarious... I can't complain too much though as I've been moved to the granny flat in the house we're currently inhabiting.. actually I've taken it over with my work shop. It used to be a place where guests stayed, now it's got bikes... several workbenches and a table for my son to dabble in his projects.. he paints his own tipp kick men (table top soccer game http://www.tipp-kick.de/) we spend hours playing. The house where we'll move to someday I already started designing my workshop. She just laughs at times.. the only time I really get any complaints is when I'm drilling, sanding, turning ebonite... it kinda stinks and I usually either have to smoke a pipe during the process... not a bad option.. or light a candle. But I most definately have to shut the door so none of the smell makes it upstairs and open up the windows. I've learned to work on the mouth pieces prior to working with the briar.. the wood smell normally cover the stench of the ebonite.

I really enjoyed reading this thread.

James