Sharpest tool in the shed.

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
Olivier

Sharpest tool in the shed.

Post by Olivier »

:oops: Being a bit technologically challenged I posted this under the sticky and not as a new post like everybody else. :lol: So I guess I'm probably not the sharpest tool in the shed but some of these are:

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Kurt and allan, Thank you for the kind words. Coming from master craftsmen such as yourselves it really means a lot to me.

Now, will somebody please delete that misplaced post. :banghead:
Frank

Post by Frank »

Oh man, if only I could.... It's craftmanship like yours that got me interested in knifemaking. I've sacrificed a lot of fingertip skin to the belt grinder gods over the years and I couldn't grind lines like yours if my life depended on it. You forged the damascus yourself? Damn good work, all of them.

Come on Olivier, make your name famous so that you can command the prices that Warenski does! :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
jeff

Post by jeff »

Gorgeous work! Very well done, indeed. I have for some time now considered trying my hand at knife making, but have never taken the initiative to give it a go. Your work is very inspiring, though.

Best,

Jeff
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

jeff wrote:Gorgeous work! Very well done, indeed. I have for some time now considered trying my hand at knife making, but have never taken the initiative to give it a go. Your work is very inspiring, though.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff,

I took up knifemaking about three months ago, and it is addictive. I did a couple of drop point skinners first, moved on to a Damascus Santoku, and have decided to put together an entire set of kitchen knives. I have a great set already, but Rachel doesn't like that I have them locked in the liquor cabinet off limits for anyone else to use. I figure if I can make myself another set, I can let her use these all she wants. If I get around to it, I'll post some pictures of my efforts thus far. I would encourage you to jump in and give it a shot. It's a lot of fun and it causes you to think creatively--unless you have a properly equipped kinfemaking shop and tool set.

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote: I took up knifemaking about three months ago, and it is addictive. I did a couple of drop point skinners first, moved on to a Damascus Santoku, and have decided to put together an entire set of kitchen knives. I have a great set already, but Rachel doesn't like that I have them locked in the liquor cabinet off limits for anyone else to use.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. :roll: Karin isn't allowed to touch my hand-forged kitchen knives. After seeing what happens to the Henckels set on a regular basis, I had to make the restriction....

But yes, it *is* addictive. I've been going at it for almost 8 years now, and I still get excited over getting a shipment of 1075 or 1084, and O1 has become an old friend. I just wish I didn't need to sleep as much, or that there were 48 hours in a day, so I could work on both pipes AND knives.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
FredS

Post by FredS »

Those lines are fantastic Olivier. I really like the ivory handled knife in the third picture.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
alan

Post by alan »

I thank you for the thanks, but getting grouped with Kurt in a sentence that involves the phrase 'master craftsmen' made me laugh out loud :lol:

Kurt is most certainly the master. I'm still in the early apprentice phase, devouring forum threads and cranking out as many pipes as quickly as I can, trying to gain and improve the skills.

Made me feel nice tho :wink:
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, these are really beautiful knives!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Wow Olivier!

Saw the last one on MPC, but it is amazing to see the rest as well.

Breathtaking!
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
Christopher Brunton

Post by Christopher Brunton »

That is some nice work. I've been thinking about taking the plunge into knife making for a while, but I think I've got enough irons in the old fire for now. (Seeing work like that makes me think twice, though)

Out of curiosity, any of you knife guys heard of a guy named John Enos? I used to live across the street from him and he had made one hell of a broad sword......Sharp things are sooooo neat.

-chris
FredS

Post by FredS »

Christopher Brunton wrote:. . .I think I've got enough irons in the old fire for now. . .
Pun intended?
FredS

Post by FredS »

Hey blade smiths. . . My Dad makes knives and the last time I was over at his place, he asked me what I thought about cryogenically treating his blades. Evidently he “met” a guy on one of the knifemaking forums who has the equipment and offers this service. I told him that a tool & die company I used to work for did some objective testing of cryogenically treated cutting tools vs. standard, non-surface-coated tools and we found that cryogenic treatment does indeed prolong the life of the cutting edge. So it’s good for end mills, but I don’t know if it is worthwhile for knives.

Any of you guys have experience with this?
JimBridger

Post by JimBridger »

FredS wrote: Any of you guys have experience with this?
A cryo treatment is mainly used during the heat treatment of stainless steels, but I have heard of it being used to improve the martensitic steel transformation in high speed tool steels as well. Depends on what the end mill is being used for, but it could very likely be a high speed tool steel mentioned earlier. I've heard some guys say it makes a difference for more "regular" tool steels as well, but I don't know how much of an improvement you really get. So to answer your question, yes, it is worthwhile to do on knives of certain steels such as stainless and the M-series.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Some *minor* improvements have been noted in the wear resistance (edge holding) ability of steels other than stainless steels, like M-series or 10xx-series steels. It's minor enough that I don't bother to consider it when I make a blade from 1075 or 1095. Other steels like my favorite, O-1, are already as tough as I-don't-know-what, so I wouldn't even bother with the expense if it did crop up as being useful.

That said, For a lot of other steal, CPM stainless steels, AUS-series, ATS-series, and others, it's been proven to drastically increase the wear resistance of the blade. I have a couple daily-use blades made from AUS-8 that have been cryo treated, and I only need to freshen the edge on them about once a year. A weekly hone on a steel is about all that's needed to keep them hair-popping sharp.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Thanks for all the good comment guys. These are actually pics of knives I made about 6 years ago. Lost all my recent pics due to a bug on the PC. :banghead: Stupid me did not make a back-up. It might take some time to reach Warenski status though. I don't have a Julie by my side.
Personally I like the work of Arpad Bojtos.
http://www.saviolopublisher.com/files/Arpad.pdf
Frank

Post by Frank »

Olivier wrote:It might take some time to reach Warenski status though. I don't have a Julie by my side.
Personally I like the work of Arpad Bojtos.
http://www.saviolopublisher.com/files/Arpad.pdf
Holy crap! :shock: Now those are art knives.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Olivier

Re: Sharpest tool in the shed.

Post by Olivier »

I have not posted for quite a while. Here's part of the reason why. I really MUST make some time for pipes.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Is there anything else to say then WOW? I guess not.. so.. WOOOW! Any good craftmanship makes my heart beat faster and these truly are gems of craftmanship! :notworthy:
Charl

Post by Charl »

Andries, these are nice! What material are the handles on the middle and bottom knives? Looks really cool.
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Thanks guys.
All the handles are Elephant Ivory except the wooden one of course. :lol: . The wood is Tamboti.