Cigar Holder

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
wdteipen

Cigar Holder

Post by wdteipen »

I recently made this cigar holder for a friend mostly out of curiosity and to see if I could. It has two inserts so it can hold three different gauges of cigar. It was fun to make but took way too long to make it a profitable venture; especially considering there isn't likely a big market at the price it would be even remotely profitable. I thought you guys might enjoy seeing it though.

[/quote]
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
oklahoma red

Re: Cigar Holder

Post by oklahoma red »

Nicely done Wayne!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

No doubt as time consuming to make as a pipe. And technically more difficult in some ways.

An outstanding result, though. Great job! (I hope your friend understands what he has and treats it accordingly.)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Superb work, I can imagine that was a lot more fiddly and technically difficult than it looks.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Beautiful work, but I would have to agree, too much work.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Some aspects were more technically difficult. One thing I wished I had when making the inserts was a DRO. I originally had three inserts but one didn't survive the process and it was just too time consuming to make a replacement. Getting a perfect and exact fit between the different inserts was maddening, especially when you consider the heat generated from turning and the change in fit once it cools down.
Wayne Teipen
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Those inserts are a brilliant idea. Very well executed, Wayne.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

A DRO is a wonderful thing. It won't have solved all your problems though, because of the nature of the materials we use, with slop factor of the lathe added in you can't be as precise as you might imagine with a DRO but it does help speed things along. I can turn with confidence to about 0.1mm with my DRO but for things like tenon fit this is nowhere near close enough. Generally I use my DRO to get me within 0.3mm of where I want to be and then sneak up on the dimension the old fashioned way. The problem is not inaccuracy in my DRO or my lathe, of course there is some and it is a factor, the main problem is the materials we are turning, they are soft, spongy and flexible, when you cut they move out of the way, warm up, expand, shrink. All these factors can have a big effect on fit. These same problems occur when turning metal too but to a much lower degree and to a far more predictable scale.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Very nice Wayne!
An ignorant question: what is a DRO?
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Charl wrote:Very nice Wayne!
An ignorant question: what is a DRO?
DRO=Digital Read Out. Optical or magnetic scales detect movement of the carriage and show such on a digital display. Takes the place of trying to interpret engraved scales on the wheels. Worth the money. Most old lathes can be retro-fitted.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Charl wrote: ...what is a DRO?
Yo, bruh. I can't believe you geeky guys. A DRO is a blunt made with hydroponically grown pot. Everybody knows that.

Need to be raisin' your cool game, here, boys. Ya need some street.

As for "Oklahoma Red"? :lol: That's a guy who makes sweet ice in a lab outside Tulsa, usin' his product name as a board handle. That TV show where it was blue? Like that, only red.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

A digital readout is way overkill for pipemaking. If you can't stay within pipemaking tolerances without looking at big, red, digital displays you probably shouldn't be using a lathe anyway;) And as Chris said, the materials we use do no keep the kind of tight specs a dro is helpful with. It can do cool stuff though and of course we all like our toys;)
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Charl wrote: ...what is a DRO?
Yo, bruh. I can't believe you geeky guys. A DRO is a blunt made with hydroponically grown pot. Everybody knows that.

Need to be raisin' your cool game, here, boys. Ya need some street.

As for "Oklahoma Red"? :lol: That's a guy who makes sweet ice in a lab outside Tulsa, usin' his product name as a board handle. That TV show where it was blue? Like that, only red.
Duuuude! You been snorting too much toe jam!
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol:
Thanks, gents!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

W.Pastuch wrote:A digital readout is way overkill for pipemaking. If you can't stay within pipemaking tolerances without looking at big, red, digital displays you probably shouldn't be using a lathe anyway;) And as Chris said, the materials we use do no keep the kind of tight specs a dro is helpful with. It can do cool stuff though and of course we all like our toys;)
Whatever. The DRO would have been handy when making multiple parts (the inserts) to get more precise and consistent fits. That's all. I guess guys with DRO's just aren't nearly as cool as you. 8) :wink:
Wayne Teipen
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Oh I'm sure it would be useful sometimes, no doubts. But are there many pipemakers that use DROs on a regular basis?
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

W.Pastuch wrote:Oh I'm sure it would be useful sometimes, no doubts. But are there many pipemakers that use DROs on a regular basis?
I can personally attest to the fact that our host Tyler B has one on his PM lathe as I have watched him use it. I have an aftermarket unit that I've not yet found the time to install on my 1943 vintage Logan. In my opinion, they should be particularly useful on old iron that has gotten loosey-goosey over the years. They are a definite convenience on new machines, be they lathes or mills. Again, my opinion.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I use my DRO on every single pipe I make.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Ok, I retract my comments ;)
It's just one of the very few machine accessories that I don't really want, but maybe that's because I like analog stuff too much;)
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Nothing wrong with that. Use what makes you happy. My DRO makes me happy. Can I work without it? Sure, I did for several years.