Some new pens

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
ronps

Some new pens

Post by ronps »

Took a short break from pipes and went back to the lathe on these.
Attachments
IMG_0535a.jpg
(57.56 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
IMG_0532a.jpg
New pens
(76.93 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
SmokeyBert

Re: Some new pens

Post by SmokeyBert »

ronps wrote:Took a short break from pipes and went back to the lathe on these.
That's the first briar pen I've seen (I'm assuming that's a briar) and wow, awesome job they are amazing.

Do you purchase kits with all of the metal bits ready to go and just pop on the wooden body when you have it prettied up?
ronps

Post by ronps »

Thanks for the feedback.

Essentially you're correct. A copper tube is inserted into a blank which is turned, polished and then assembled with the metal components.

However, there are no briar blanks in these pens.

But, here are a pair I made during the summer, one of which was gifted to Tim West. Now you have seen two!!
Attachments
briar.jpg
briar blank
(183.5 KiB) Downloaded 929 times
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

ronps wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

Essentially you're correct. A copper tube is inserted into a blank which is turned, polished and then assembled with the metal components.

However, there are no briar blanks in these pens.

But, here are a pair I made during the summer, one of which was gifted to Tim West. Now you have seen two!!
Ah thank you; so are the first pictures in this thread made from a stem stock like lucite or an ebonite type material?

I am a huge fan of the Mont Blanc style of pens such as this one; ever see kits to make something in a two piece style rather than the twist to extend style? :
ronps

Post by ronps »

The first and the fourth are ebony; the middle two are acrylic; the one at the end, not sure, may be rose wood.

And yes, there are many fountain pen kits. The Mont Blanc is an extremely well crafted pen and the materials used are impeccable. The basic models are very nice. The higher ones are just marvelous to the touch and sight.

We try, though. Some examples. The prize winners are actually roller balls, but easily modifiable to fountain pens.
Attachments
IMG_0276.JPG
(89.36 KiB) Downloaded 905 times
IMG_0174.JPG
(142.46 KiB) Downloaded 905 times
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

ronps wrote:The first and the fourth are ebony; the middle two are acrylic; the one at the end, not sure, may be rose wood.

And yes, there are many fountain pen kits. The Mont Blanc is an extremely well crafted pen and the materials used are impeccable. The basic models are very nice. The higher ones are just marvelous to the touch and sight.

We try, though. Some examples. The prize winners are actually roller balls, but easily modifiable to fountain pens.

Those are some awesome pens!! OK I now have to add making a fountain/ball style pen to my bucket list.

For me one of the biggest things I like is the weight vs. size of the M.B. style pens. That weight just seems to help it feel stable like it fills the hand more without being a larger less maneuverable size.

I would have to find a way to add+hide weight in the body of the pen kit to get that feel and balance.
ronps

Post by ronps »

There is a world of difference between the pen you make and most of what you get commercially in terms of the weight and feel.

Give it a try. You might visit the Exoticblanks or Pennstate websites. Lot of variety there on all kinds of pens.

Have fun.