pipemakersforum.com

The original forum for pipe makers on the web
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Some new pens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am
Posts: 59
Took a short break from pipes and went back to the lathe on these.


Attachments:
IMG_0535a.jpg [57.56 KiB]
Downloaded 984 times
File comment: New pens
IMG_0532a.jpg [76.93 KiB]
Downloaded 984 times
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some new pens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:28 pm
Posts: 42
Location: USA, Michigan
ronps wrote:
Took a short break from pipes and went back to the lathe on these.


That's the first briar pen I've seen (I'm assuming that's a briar) and wow, awesome job they are amazing.

Do you purchase kits with all of the metal bits ready to go and just pop on the wooden body when you have it prettied up?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some new pens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am
Posts: 59
Thanks for the feedback.

Essentially you're correct. A copper tube is inserted into a blank which is turned, polished and then assembled with the metal components.

However, there are no briar blanks in these pens.

But, here are a pair I made during the summer, one of which was gifted to Tim West. Now you have seen two!!


Attachments:
File comment: briar blank
briar.jpg [183.5 KiB]
Downloaded 929 times
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some new pens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:28 pm
Posts: 42
Location: USA, Michigan
ronps wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Essentially you're correct. A copper tube is inserted into a blank which is turned, polished and then assembled with the metal components.

However, there are no briar blanks in these pens.

But, here are a pair I made during the summer, one of which was gifted to Tim West. Now you have seen two!!


Ah thank you; so are the first pictures in this thread made from a stem stock like lucite or an ebonite type material?

I am a huge fan of the Mont Blanc style of pens such as this one; ever see kits to make something in a two piece style rather than the twist to extend style? :
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some new pens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am
Posts: 59
The first and the fourth are ebony; the middle two are acrylic; the one at the end, not sure, may be rose wood.

And yes, there are many fountain pen kits. The Mont Blanc is an extremely well crafted pen and the materials used are impeccable. The basic models are very nice. The higher ones are just marvelous to the touch and sight.

We try, though. Some examples. The prize winners are actually roller balls, but easily modifiable to fountain pens.


Attachments:
IMG_0276.JPG [89.36 KiB]
Downloaded 905 times
IMG_0174.JPG [142.46 KiB]
Downloaded 905 times
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some new pens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:28 pm
Posts: 42
Location: USA, Michigan
ronps wrote:
The first and the fourth are ebony; the middle two are acrylic; the one at the end, not sure, may be rose wood.

And yes, there are many fountain pen kits. The Mont Blanc is an extremely well crafted pen and the materials used are impeccable. The basic models are very nice. The higher ones are just marvelous to the touch and sight.

We try, though. Some examples. The prize winners are actually roller balls, but easily modifiable to fountain pens.



Those are some awesome pens!! OK I now have to add making a fountain/ball style pen to my bucket list.

For me one of the biggest things I like is the weight vs. size of the M.B. style pens. That weight just seems to help it feel stable like it fills the hand more without being a larger less maneuverable size.

I would have to find a way to add+hide weight in the body of the pen kit to get that feel and balance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some new pens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am
Posts: 59
There is a world of difference between the pen you make and most of what you get commercially in terms of the weight and feel.

Give it a try. You might visit the Exoticblanks or Pennstate websites. Lot of variety there on all kinds of pens.

Have fun.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group