My Hewa Home...

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
JMG

My Hewa Home...

Post by JMG »

Showing my house in Hewa is a bit of a repeat, but I thought some of you guys might like to see a video walk-through of it. Every stick of lumber in the house came from local Hewa trees that were cut down and slabbed with chainsaws. With the exception of the 3/4" ply on the floors and 1/4" on the walls it was all slabbed...even for the cabinets and whatnots. The video hides an awful lot and makes things look a good deal nicer than they really are, but I'll take it. Since I shot the video there was some remodeling of sorts on my kitchen. We built a stair case and moved my solar equipment. My wife was having a hard time getting up and down that steep ladder with the laundry that you see in the video. Anywho, here's the first link and you can check out 2 and 3 from there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7JccRcuj9k

Here's an updated pic of my staircase after things were redone...
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
d.huber

Re: My Hewa Home...

Post by d.huber »

Dude, I never tire of seeing this stuff. Absolutely awesome.

Have you returned already? I thought you were still in the states.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
JMG

Post by JMG »

No, I'm still stateside. We don't go back until March.

fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Really cool!!
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

like David, I too love seeing these pics, and can never get enough of them. And owning an Alaskan mill, I know the labor intensive process it is!! Curious question, how do you get all the other things there, like plywood, roofing, freezers, etc? Whats the closest place to get "supplies"
JMG

Post by JMG »

Vermont Freehand wrote:like David, I too love seeing these pics, and can never get enough of them. And owning an Alaskan mill, I know the labor intensive process it is!! Curious question, how do you get all the other things there, like plywood, roofing, freezers, etc? Whats the closest place to get "supplies"
Before our airstrip was completed, we had our supplies (plywood, roofing, etc..) flown into the nearest grass airstrip. Then the heli would sling load everything underneath to our village. I bought the ply and roofing there in country, but my fridge and freezer and things like that I bought in the States and had them slow boated over in a container.

Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

JMG wrote:
Vermont Freehand wrote:like David, I too love seeing these pics, and can never get enough of them. And owning an Alaskan mill, I know the labor intensive process it is!! Curious question, how do you get all the other things there, like plywood, roofing, freezers, etc? Whats the closest place to get "supplies"
Before our airstrip was completed, we had our supplies (plywood, roofing, etc..) flown into the nearest grass airstrip. Then the heli would sling load everything underneath to our village. I bought the ply and roofing there in country, but my fridge and freezer and things like that I bought in the States and had them slow boated over in a container.

thats pretty cool!!!
so how close is the nearest place on "the grid" where you can get supplies?
JMG

Post by JMG »

The Hewa boys can make it to the nearest thing that could be considered a town in about 2 weeks (though I'd never make it, ha.) By plane we can make it to the same place in about 30-40 minutes. Our mission's base that we typically go to, and the next closest town is 1 1/2 hour flight.

Alden

Post by Alden »

JMG wrote:The Hewa boys can make it to the nearest thing that could be considered a town in about 2 weeks (though I'd never make it, ha.)
That's pretty amazing to consider. I can make it anywhere in the continental US in 2 days and a couple tanks of gas :D
Very cool pics, stories and thoughts to ponder on, as usual.
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

How much of the year do you spend in two different countries? I would love to do something like this! What an awesome experience for your young ones.
JMG

Post by JMG »

SmokeyBert wrote:How much of the year do you spend in two different countries? I would love to do something like this! What an awesome experience for your young ones.
We go for three years st a time. We came home this past May and go back in March. Consider yourself as having a standing invitation to come visit.

i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Really cool stuff JMG. Going to have to try and make a trip upstate once upon a time and have a smoke. Keep up the good stuff brother.
JMG

Post by JMG »

i.keenum wrote:Really cool stuff JMG. Going to have to try and make a trip upstate once upon a time and have a smoke. Keep up the good stuff brother.
Yeah you will.