Kansas City show event addition

Discussions about pipe shows, pipe seminars, tobacco shows, trade shows, etc. All sizes, shapes, and countries.
LatakiaLover

Kansas City show event addition

Post by LatakiaLover »

This is the only forum on the planet where someone might care :lol: , but an announcement should be properly announced, right?

I invited Tim West to join me for Saturday afternoon's repair and refurb Q&A session---it was going to be a "panel of one," so now it's a panel of two---and he accepted. Having him will allow pipe making questions to be fielded as well. Cool beans, eh?

No time limit, no lead-up presentation, we'll just jump straight into the good stuff. You ask, we'll answer. Easel pad diagrams as necessary. (Canned info doesn't work well with a broad spectrum of attendees, anyway.)

A possible THIRD addition, btw, is PF's own Oklahoma Red. He isn't a marquee carver at this point, but he absolutely knows machinery---especially lathes---and knows how to communicate his knowledge well.

With all the tornado shit going on in his back yard, it's too early to know if he'll be able to make the show, but he said yes a couple weeks back when I invited him aboard... so he will if he can. (fingers are crossed)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocelot55

Re: Kansas City show event addition

Post by Ocelot55 »

Sounds great. Looking forward to it!
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

man, this entices me even more to drive down there.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I have LOTS of questions!

Be prepared, I'm coming with some good ones!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Tyler wrote:I have LOTS of questions!

I must admit that a trace of apprehension now accompanies my excitement and enthusiasm. Declaratives in all caps DO THAT! (<--- see? :lol: Made 'ya jump.)

Any hints you can give me so I can do a little prep?

Speaking of apprehension, how is the Beard family handling Mother Nature's welcome to Oklahoma? Such things can be very rough on kids.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Tyler wrote:I have LOTS of questions!

I must admit that a trace of apprehension now accompanies my excitement and enthusiasm. Declaratives in all caps DO THAT! (<--- see? :lol: Made 'ya jump.)

Any hints you can give me so I can do a little prep?

Speaking of apprehension, how is the Beard family handling Mother Nature's welcome to Oklahoma? Such things can be very rough on kids.
We're doing well, I think.

Sunday's tornado found us in my brother's basement, as that one was only 3 miles away. It was very compact compared to Monday's. Monday's was 20 miles away, and in these parts that's not even get-to-shelter worthy. The youngest cried a bit Sunday, but it turned out "fun" going to cousins' house.

On the other hand, man, the devastation from Monday's tornado is unreal. Incredibly heartbreaking stories are too common.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Not to thread jack this, but very glad to hear you're OK, Tyler! Our thoughts and prayers are with all those that have lost loved ones, homes, and businesses.. So terrible!

George, what time is this session? Sounds great! Hope it will be after the show hours so those with tables can attend it without having to leave their tables....
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sethile wrote:
George, what time is this session? Sounds great! Hope it will be after the show hours so those with tables can attend it without having to leave their tables....
Damn. I didn't think of that. The organizer guys thought Saturday afternoon would be best, and I just nodded.

Any other time would be tough, though. Friday and Saturday both have event-connected meals after the ballroom closes (a BBQ buffet and fancy-schmantzy banquet, respectively), and after those are finished people will just want to retire to the garden/tent area to smoke and tell lies.

Hm. I'll mention it to them in the next few days and see if anyone has any ideas.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

LatakiaLover wrote:
sethile wrote:
Damn. I didn't think of that. The organizer guys thought Saturday afternoon would be best, and I just nodded.

Any other time would be tough, though. Friday and Saturday both have event-connected meals after the ballroom closes (a BBQ buffet and fancy-schmantzy banquet, respectively), and after those are finished people will just want to retire to the garden/tent area to smoke and tell lies.

Hm. I'll mention it to them in the next few days and see if anyone has any ideas.
Ask and ye shall receive. :D Met with the organizer guys this morning, explained the situation, and the shop seminar thingie is now set for 5:00pm Saturday. The show hall doors close at 5:00, the fancy-schmantzy banquet dinner starts at 6:30, and nothing else is scheduled during that time.

Thanks for asking, Scott, or I would have messed it up.
sethile

Post by sethile »

That's great news, George!

BTW, I love your signature line, and have really enjoyed seeing it in action this weekend! He is a fantastic pipe maker!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------