Who's Going to Richmond?

Discussions about pipe shows, pipe seminars, tobacco shows, trade shows, etc. All sizes, shapes, and countries.
RadDavis

Who's Going to Richmond?

Post by RadDavis »

I'll be heading out tomorrow morning. Who else is going?

I also have some very exciting news:

I and a very select, knowledgeable, and elite field tester who, unfortunately lives in the third world, :lol: have been test smoking some pipes with a revolutionary new stem material.

It is called Tuskanite, and it is as soft, if not softer than ebonite with the same comfort and tooth feel, but it contains neither sulfur nor rubber, and therefore won't need the constant maintenance that vulcanite products require.

It won't oxidize.

All of the ivory colored stems that you will see in the preview are made from Tuskanite. There are two black Tuskanite stems as well (Numbers 2 & 14), but I only got enough black samples before the show to do two stems. More black will be available soon, and I am very excited about being able to offer this product as an alternative to vulcanite.

It acts like vulcanite in all respects when you are lathing and working it.

You can see what I'm bringing to the show here:

http://raddavispipes.com/preview.cfm

Rad
Danskpibemager

Tuskanite

Post by Danskpibemager »

Rad,
For those of us that can't attend the Richmond Show, will you be elaborating on the new found stem material: Tuskanite after the show?
Sounds very interesting but doesn't Google very well for more information.

Enjoy the Show!
Regards, Kevin
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Tuskanite

Post by KurtHuhn »

Danskpibemager wrote:will you be elaborating on the new found stem material: Tuskanite after the show?
Methinks Rad may have created himself a trade name. :)

If it's what I think it is, it's really stellar material, and possibly the best thing since vulcanite to hit the pipe stem world.

Regretably I won't be going to Richmond. I had planned to up until last week, but the kids have a Feis in each of the next few weekends, and they're their first ones, so I decided to give them the priority.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Danskpibemager wrote:Rad,
For those of us that can't attend the Richmond Show, will you be elaborating on the new found stem material: Tuskanite after the show?

Enjoy the Show!
Regards, Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I will be doing that.

Kurt, I'm fairly sure it's not what you think it is, whatever that may be. :)

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:If it's what I think it is, it's really stellar material, and possibly the best thing since vulcanite to hit the pipe stem world.
RadDavis wrote:Kurt, I'm fairly sure it's not what you think it is, whatever that may be.
OK, Oversized Ostrogoth, this means you have to spill the beans as to what you believe it is. 'Fess up or I'll send a scrum of Vandals to rugby tackle your arse! :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote: Kurt, I'm fairly sure it's not what you think it is, whatever that may be. :)
Interesting. It looks very similar to something I've been playing with for a couple years now. I'm not sure on the black, but I have my theories. I actually have some of the stuff I use on my desk right now - a fresh shipment just yesterday.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Man I wish I was going, but I can't make it this year.

Your preview pipes look great, Rad! The Tuskanite looks very interesting. Exciting to think we might have another stem option.

Could I have received a sample of the white as a bonus on a recent order from Asia? If so, it's the best looking synthetic Ivory I've ever seen, and in my day job I've used a lot of that stuff!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
jeff

Post by jeff »

Killer blast on #15, Rad. I'm bringing a buffing wheel to round over the sharp edges for you when your back is turned. ;)

As for the Tuskanite, I'm wondering if it takes a blowtorch to bend and if there happen to be any "crispies" that need filed off afterwards? Just curious. :lol:

Jody Davis and I are arriving tomorrow afternoon. I'll have 15 or so pipes and Jody will have 2 or 3, as per usual. :) It should be good fun, for sure.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Frank wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:If it's what I think it is, it's really stellar material, and possibly the best thing since vulcanite to hit the pipe stem world.
RadDavis wrote:Kurt, I'm fairly sure it's not what you think it is, whatever that may be.
OK, Oversized Ostrogoth, this means you have to spill the beans as to what you believe it is. 'Fess up or I'll send a scrum of Vandals to rugby tackle your arse! :twisted:
No way, man! I just got on Rad's good side by purchasing a metal lathe - I'm not about to jeopardize that by spilling his beans. :bangin:

Besides, now I'm not sure I know what it is. What I've using may well be something completely different. I anxiously await Rad's post-show elaboration. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Just curious - those that didn't make the show would probably love to hear about this stuff! So far, the only thing I could find ANYTHING about it is on Neill Roan's blog.

Rad?
mightysmurf8201

Re: Who's Going to Richmond?

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I know this is an old post, but just out of curiosity, what ever became of Tuskanite? Is anyone still using it? I have seen it used as accent material here and there, but other than that, it doesn't seem to have gained much of a following.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/