Lathe Chucks

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Boekweg

Re: Lathe Chucks

Post by Boekweg »

Hey guys, i have a Central Machinery 5 Speed 10"X18" Mini Wood Lathe.(Harbor Feight Tools) can any one please tell me where to find the chuck i need to purchase to hold the briar blocks???
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The spindle size on those is 3/4"-16tpi, so pretty much anyplace. That's a very common spindle size, though not as common as 1"-8 or 1.5"-8.

Craft Supplies USA seems to have a decent chuck that comes with an adapter for 3/4-16. No tower jaws though:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... huck?Args=

Then there's the often suggested Oneway chuck:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... k_no?Args=

And tower jaws:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... jaws?Args=
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Thanks allot kurt,
Once again you have come through for me.
Being a machinist i should have known about the spindle size and tpi. It just seems that this wood working stuff is a whole new world to me. Everthing i have done as a machinist has been with different metals.
Anyway, Thanks again!
Growley

Post by Growley »

It's about time I post a review on my Mark Yingling custom chuck. I wanted to use it a few months before I wrote anything about it. This is my first chuck, so keep that in mind as you read through this post.

From what I've seen out there (and I haven't seen it all) Mark makes the Rolls Royce of chucks. I bought this to fit on my Jet Lathe BD-920. It will close down to less than 1 inch and and open up farther than my lathe will actually allow, so it will fit most if not all pipe applications. It comes standard with two set pins which allow you that perfect swivel to align the smoke hole and bottom of your bowl just right.

I had him put in two more pins hoping to have another point of reference in case I ever needed to re-chuck my block. In my newness to pipe making I knew I'd forget steps here and there, and thought it would be really helpful if I could get my block in the exact...or close to exact position on my chuck as it was before. The idea was good, but I didn't know enough about where to tell Mark to put the extra pins. In retrospect, I'd should have asked him to place them in front of the front pins. Most of my blocks are too small to make use of the rear second set of pins.

Mark is more than wonderful to work with. He takes pride in his work and won't give up until you're satisfied with your new chuck. He even helped me figure out exactly what I needed. Seeing that I had never chucked up anything before I bought this, I was completely lost before I got a hold of Mark. I sent him the info on my lathe and he told me exactly what to order.

This chuck is strong and solid as a tank, and the shape of the jaws help you see more of the block then the paddle jaws do. I find this really helpful when I'm stopping the lathe to look at my lines.

To get the chuck I have here, you need to buy a 6" Bison two jaw chuck and back plate and ship it to Mark to fit his jaws. The total cost between Chuck, Backplate and Custom Jaws including shipping for me was $830.

I've never had a block slip or move, and now that I'm spoiled I can't imagine how people do it any other way. Precision and quality best describes Mark's jaws, and kind and friendly best best describes Mark!

Since I just went through all this a few months ago I should still have all the information. If you want to get one of these gems feel free to reach out and I'll do what I can for you.

Brian.

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You will NOT be disappointed with that setup. While I don't own one, I have seen one in person, and it is impressive.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Archer

Post by Archer »

That is just beautiful. Very nice Brian!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Growley, would you be willing to make a little video for us? That chuck looks mighty impressive and I'd love to see it in action!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Growley

Post by Growley »

UberHuberMan wrote:Growley, would you be willing to make a little video for us? That chuck looks mighty impressive and I'd love to see it in action!
Certainly. I might need some help figuring out how to post it technically, but I have an iPhone and an iFlip, so I know I can get the video part fine. Also, it would be good if I had some idea of what would be helpful for me to show you, what you want to know about it.

Let me know and I'll get something put together.

Brian.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Growley wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:Growley, would you be willing to make a little video for us? That chuck looks mighty impressive and I'd love to see it in action!
Certainly. I might need some help figuring out how to post it technically, but I have an iPhone and an iFlip, so I know I can get the video part fine. Also, it would be good if I had some idea of what would be helpful for me to show you, what you want to know about it.

Brian.
Uh... hmm... the first thing that comes to mind is... what do you use it for, exactly? Being a newby and not having a great deal of tool knowledge at this point, I honestly am not sure what you'd primarily use the chuck for. I can imagine that one might use it to freehand drill the chamber... maybe freehand shape the bowl? Is my newb showing? :oops:

-Tyler Beard
Growley

Post by Growley »

UberHuberMan wrote:
Growley wrote:

Brian.
Uh... hmm... the first thing that comes to mind is... what do you use it for, exactly? Being a newby and not having a great deal of tool knowledge at this point, I honestly am not sure what you'd primarily use the chuck for. I can imagine that one might use it to freehand drill the chamber... maybe freehand shape the bowl? Is my newb showing? :oops:
I use this chuck for every pipe I make. Sometimes, I can only drill the T-Chamber, mortise and smoke hole on it, sometimes I can get most of the shape done on it. It really depends on what style of pipe I'm putting together. I've only made just over a dozen pipes or so and am concerned that if I put a "how-to" video out there, my newb would show and I'd lead someone astray. There are certainly some great youtube videos for that. However, I'm happy to give you some help as well. I'll you a PM and see if we can figure something out.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I'm still fairly new at making pipes myself, but I did put together a picture tutorial of the process I use to make a pipe.

You are welcome to take a look. I hope you find it helpful.

http://www.woodturnersresource.com/extr ... _pipe.html

Todd
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

taharris wrote:I'm still fairly new at making pipes myself, but I did put together a picture tutorial of the process I use to make a pipe.

You are welcome to take a look. I hope you find it helpful.

http://www.woodturnersresource.com/extr ... _pipe.html

Todd
Thanks for this, Todd! That's a really great step by step guide which allows a lot of insight into your process and the practical use of a chuck! Much appreciated. :)

-Tyler Beard
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This is essentially what you use it for:

The chucks are different, but the purpose is the same. It holds the block while you drill the various hols, turn the various shapes, etc.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Awesome video, Kurt! Thank you for posting this!

I finally went and subscribed to your youtube channel. What an awesome learning resource you're providing with those videos. Is it just me, or is there something hypnotic about the sound of wood being worked on a lathe?

-Tyler Beard
Sea Jay

Post by Sea Jay »

I bought my lathe today, but it is a 3 jaw chuck that comes with it.
Will it be an issue to hold the stummel?
Happy Puffing...
Sea Jay
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sea Jay wrote:I bought my lathe today, but it is a 3 jaw chuck that comes with it.
Will it be an issue to hold the stummel?
Yes.

3-jaw is for holding round things, like ebonite rod stock. You'll need a two-jaw (or four-jaw with two jays removed) to hold a block of wood.
Sea Jay

Post by Sea Jay »

Darn... :oops:
Thank you Tyler.
Happy Puffing...
Sea Jay
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sea Jay wrote:Darn... :oops:
Thank you Tyler.
Don't be bothered too much. A three-jaw is what most (metal) lathes come with, and you need one anyway.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

3 Jaw chuck is an essential bit of kit for a lathe, that's why I have ummmm ooh err about half a dozen of them. A 4 jaw is also essential which is why I have 2, self centre and independent. You will also need drill chucks, about a dozen of them as well.

Did I mention I have a problem! :lol:
Sea Jay

Post by Sea Jay »

caskwith wrote:3 Jaw chuck is an essential bit of kit for a lathe, that's why I have ummmm ooh err about half a dozen of them. A 4 jaw is also essential which is why I have 2, self centre and independent. You will also need drill chucks, about a dozen of them as well.

Did I mention I have a problem! :lol:
Hmmmm....I think you are lathe dependant, Chris. But it is a good addiction. :lol:

I did purchase a drill chuck, max size 5/16". And I sent an e-mail to Trent Rudat, after reading a thread by The Rev, which I thank for it.
Happy Puffing...
Sea Jay