Lathe Chucks

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
andrew

Re: Lathe Chucks

Post by andrew »

caskwith wrote:3 Jaw chuck is an essential bit of kit for a lathe, that's why I have ummmm ooh err about half a dozen of them. A 4 jaw is also essential which is why I have 2, self centre and independent. You will also need drill chucks, about a dozen of them as well.

Did I mention I have a problem! :lol:
Chris is dependent on expensive high quality tools, most of us here endorse this type of... "problem" :)

I still "need" to find a 4 jaw scroll chuck, it will make me happy :)
jpkulp

Post by jpkulp »

Does anyone have experience with this chuck from Penn State Industries?
[urlhttp://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S ... jaw-chucks[/url]
Is it worth it or should I be looking at a Oneway/Nova?
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

http://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchan ... jaw-chucks

I fixed the link for you.

While I don't have any experience with that particular chuck, I use one from Grizzly which is a china made chuck. It's not the best out there but for my occasional use to make pipes it works fine. It holds the block well and with my jaws is easy to set up to drill with. I've not had any bad drilling even with this cheaper chuck.

Again, it's not a Nova or Oneway but should hold up well, at least that's my opinion.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

jpkulp wrote:Does anyone have experience with this chuck from Penn State Industries?
[urlhttp://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S ... jaw-chucks[/url]
Is it worth it or should I be looking at a Oneway/Nova?
I use that chuck on my wood lathe with only 2 of the spigot jaws (the tall narrower ones) for drilling stummels and it works fine. Not as quick as with custom made jaws but with some careful alignment they work fine. Just make sure to tighten the jaws very well so they don't loosen with the off balance turning. If I was doing this for something other than a hobby I'd probably get custom jaws and a better chuck and, and, and . . .

Holds rod stock well with all 4 jaws installed.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
mikecouch

Post by mikecouch »

I’m looking to buy a 3-jaw chuck that will fit my Rikon wood lathe. I know the more experienced guys will say, “Don’t waste your money on accessories for a wood lathe, upgrade to a metal lathe”. And while I understand and agree, it’s just not in the budget at the moment.
Is there a quality 3-jaw chuck that you guys have had success with? And what sort of adapters, etc. will I need to attach one to my wood lathe?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Why three jaw? A four jaw will give you much more flexibility on that wood lathe - something like the Apprentice 4-jaw chuck from Craft Supplies USA:
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/17 ... -Piece-Set
Or the PSI chuck mentioned above.

With a 4-jaw, you can use all four jaws for turning round stock, or use only 2 for holding square stock like briar blocks.

Do you know what the spindle thread is on your Rikon lathe?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
mikecouch

Post by mikecouch »

The thread count is 8 to 1, if I remember correctly. And my goal is to be able to keep the pipe jaws on my 4 jaw chuck, and be able to turn larger diameter stem and accent stock on a 3 jaw. Also I would love to be able to drill after I shape, and my 4 jaw chuck won’t hold my smaller drill bits.
Does that make sense, or am I missing something?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nah, that makes perfect sense. I do something similar. I'm not sure if there are any 3-jaw chucks with 1"-8 backplates, but eBay might have some. Another thing to consider, especially to securely hold rod stock or round stems, is a collet chuck like the Beall. No 3-jaw can hold round stock more securely or accurately. A Beall with a set of metric ER-32 collets is an absolute dream.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

If you can get ER40 then pay the extra, ER32 covers almost all the sies you will come across but ER40 makes things a lot easier as you can get collets up to 30mm and it is very rare you will ever use stock bigger than 30mm in pipe making.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Good point - ER40 are somewhat more rare "in the wild", but if you can find one that fits, it might be more useful.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

This is my first post on the forum, so greetings!

I just bought a Grizzly G4000 metal lathe. It has a weird
M29 x 4mm spindle nose thread. Does anybody know of a 4 jaw scrolling Chuck that will fit directly to this
Spindle? If I have to spring for a back plate or adapter, I guess I will, but I’d really like to find a Chuck that I can just screw on, then screw on my briar jaws. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-UnderShade
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Most of the specialized chucks in woodworking (NOVA, ONeway etc) have adapters you just order when you buy the chuck.

What came with the lathe, nothing? If it has a three jaw chuck, leave it on, and rig up a 2-jaw (possibly a modified 4 jaw) that will fit into it so that to put the 2 jaw chuck on, all you do is clamp it in the 3 jaw. (3 jaw is nice for rod work so taking it on and off all the time is probably a pain).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

It comes with a self centering 4” 3 jaw and 7 1/4” independent 4 jaw. I looked for both a direct thread and an adapter, but wasn’t able to find anything for M39 x 4mm threads. I thought about even dropping the $350 for Primal’s chuck over on Rawkrafted since I already have the 3 jaw.?

https://rawkrafted.com/tools/chucks/
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I just reread your post Sas. I have a Nova G3 with custom briar jaws on it for my wood lathe. Are you suggesting I just take that chuck and clamp it into my 3 jaw? I never considered that! :doh:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That is what I am telling you.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Or you could manufacture an adapter, a piece of correctly threaded/sized rod, to hold in the 3 jaw, and spin the nova onto that just like it was a spindle on a wood lathe. Many way to skin cat.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Thanks Sas! Great idea(s)...
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Or...

He could just be trying to trick you into wasting money or hurting yourself so you'll take a roadtrip to outer Albertastan to confront him personally. Whereupon he'll eat you.

Sas has come far from his days of roaming the wild woods at random, snacking on campers and hikers. He may be huge, scary, and ugly, but he ain't stupid, and the Internet suits him just fine
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

A very sophisticated hunter, as many a tale tell... Though, I've also heard he wreaks of ebonite and is easy to smell coming... :shock:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Gimme a break George, I haven't eaten an apprentice in years.