Precision Air Regulator

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
jthomas

Precision Air Regulator

Post by jthomas »

Hey guys, I'm searching for a precise air regulator for my air compressor. One that allows you to really dial in the psi. I've got the kind with a knob on top, but need something a little more precise. I've seen pictures of them in other pipemaker's shops (Tyler, Trever), but can't seem to locate one for sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Josh
sandahlpipe

Re: Precision Air Regulator

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm on my second air regulator and it's not working very well at the moment. I think I'm going to need to shell out some cash. The first one died rather quickly. The second one I bought has lasted over a year (I can't remember exactly when I got it) and it leaks air and doesn't move. The good news is that I can kinda guess where I'm at with pressure and it's close enough for sandblasting.

I'd also like to know what brands are recommended. And if anyone cares to share what they have for dryer/filters on their lines, that would be helpful info.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
jthomas

Post by jthomas »

Jeremiah,
Currently I have a 1/2" air line running from my compressor about 20 ft to a moisture trap made of 1/2" piping that runs up and down 4 times with ball valves at the bottom for draining. This collects the majority of moisture in my system. From there an air line runs to a Parker 06E32B13AC 1/2" filter/regulator, which collects almost all remaining moisture. The line drops to 3/8" and runs to my blast cabinet which has a Parker 06E12B13AC1 1/4" filter/regulator connected to the cabinet's valve. This filter stays dry. I do keep some empty tobacco tins filled with desiccant in the cabinet when not in use to keep the media from absorbing too much water from the air.

The Parker filters I bought cheap on ebay and have worked well keeping the air dry, but I think this is due in part because the moisture trap made of steel pipe does most of the work. The only caveat is, they aren't very precise at regulating the psi.

I'd love to find out where to buy one of those precise regulators I've seen in pics.
Cheers,
Josh
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

The regulator that counts is the one that is closest to the point of usage. That way pressure drop created by length of piping and pipe diameter can be compensated for right at the blast cabinet. Can you enlighten us as to the need for "precision"?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I know nothing about air regulators, but will bet a shiny nickel that both Jeremiah's quick-fail and presently-failing units are of Asian manufacture.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I have no idea what manufacturer made them, but I'd probably not take a bet against George. I think the second unit I ordered off of McMaster-Carr. If someone can point me to a good American brand that's not outrageously expensive, I'd probably say I've learned my lesson on this. Though I still like my PM lathe.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
jthomas

Post by jthomas »

Oklahoma- there are a number of reasons why I'd like a more accurate regulator. Trever Talbert says it better than I could in one of his blogs, . "Any pipemaker who has spent some years cursing and wrestling with those spring-top knob regulators, that you have to crank and crank and crank, and which are typically pretty vague on their actual pressure, would be delighted by this - I've barely used the system and it's worth the money already to me. The dial is smooth and pressure drop-offs when dialing it down are nearly instant, and actually stop where you set the pressure. It's going to make it a lot easier for me to change operating pressures to better match with different medias and different blasting needs."

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. (Hopefully this works for me)
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

jthomas wrote:Oklahoma- there are a number of reasons why I'd like a more accurate regulator. Trever Talbert says it better than I could in one of his blogs, . "Any pipemaker who has spent some years cursing and wrestling with those spring-top knob regulators, that you have to crank and crank and crank, and which are typically pretty vague on their actual pressure, would be delighted by this - I've barely used the system and it's worth the money already to me. The dial is smooth and pressure drop-offs when dialing it down are nearly instant, and actually stop where you set the pressure. It's going to make it a lot easier for me to change operating pressures to better match with different medias and different blasting needs."

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. (Hopefully this works for me)
Trevor is a good egg. Emaul him and I'll bet he'll help.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I have been blasting for several year now and have never needed that kind of adjustment, in fact I rarely change the pressure much.

Try not to think of this as some kind of magic bullet if you are having trouble sandblasting, there could be many other factors you need to address first.

Slightly off topic but sort of related but the phrase "all the gear and no idea" springs to mind with posts like this. I see it a lot on the facebook "pipemaker" groups. People talking for hours about getting the right equipment, getting the perfect buffing compound, the perfect sandpaper, the perfect files. As if having a massive lathe and powerful variable speed disc sander is suddenly going to turn them into Bo Nordh when in reality they can't even drill and shape a basic Billiard.
jthomas

Post by jthomas »

Never mind, thanks.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Call Mike at the Tacoma co. Just use that as a search His company specializes in blasting equip.
He is a pneumatic engineer and will tell you exactly what you need
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I have this one:

https://www.hydradynellc.com/product/52 ... regulators

It's great! I highly recommend it.

The page linked to is confusing. The model number is the exact regulator I have, but the photo is of several different regulators. The one I have looks identical to Trevor's.
jthomas

Post by jthomas »

Thank you Tyler! That is exactly what I'm looking for and I greatly appreciate the help!

Pipeguy- thank you for the contact info, I'll look into Tacoma co.

Take care,
Josh
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

caskwith wrote: Slightly off topic but sort of related but the phrase "all the gear and no idea" springs to mind with posts like this. I see it a lot on the facebook "pipemaker" groups. People talking for hours about getting the right equipment, getting the perfect buffing compound, the perfect sandpaper, the perfect files. As if having a massive lathe and powerful variable speed disc sander is suddenly going to turn them into Bo Nordh when in reality they can't even drill and shape a basic Billiard.
You sound a little exasperated, Mr Askwith, and I can appreciate that. However, this response would have sounded like a real turn off, were it directed at me. It apparently almost shut off Josh

I think that many of us go through this phase when we start a new endeavor especially one which is tool rich. I certainly did, and I will continue to do so. I have a shit load of files which I had to have, and surprisingly, I use most of them effectively, not too mention lathes etc.
We all learn our lessons eventually
I also appreciate the OP's post because I learned a few things following this thread. I will start blasting soon, and never considered the problem of moisture in the line, nor have I considered whether or not the pressure should be possibly different for different media.
Thanks for bringing this up, Josh.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Yeah I regret that post a bit now, I won't remove it, better to just own and say that it was likely a bit out of line and I am sorry if anyone was upset by it.

I think I was just venting a little at people here when in reality I was getting more annoyed at people I see on facebook who are pissing me off. They tout knowledge and expertise, which amazing material sources to use and expensive fancy bits of tooling that you just "must have!". Then I look at examples of their work and they are just, well pipe turds, in fact usually worse.
Massis

Post by Massis »

caskwith wrote:Yeah I regret that post a bit now, I won't remove it, better to just own and say that it was likely a bit out of line and I am sorry if anyone was upset by it.

I think I was just venting a little at people here when in reality I was getting more annoyed at people I see on facebook who are pissing me off. They tout knowledge and expertise, which amazing material sources to use and expensive fancy bits of tooling that you just "must have!". Then I look at examples of their work and they are just, well pipe turds, in fact usually worse.
Oh great, here goes the pipeturd discussion again :fencing:

I read everything in your post except the last sentence and my head went "yeah, all those pipe turds!", and only then did I read your last sentence. You're not the only one being frustrated. And I'm not even creating high grade pipes, just slightly better pipe turds :lol: But I've decided to do my best to get as many of these "artisan freehand danish style craftsmen pipe carvers" as possible along with me on the path to decent pipes.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

My turds come with double ply pipe bags so :thplt:

Seriously, I've only sold a couple pipes. Never considered someone would want to buy one so I never considered investing in pipe socks or bags or ehatever they're called. I just wrapped it in a shop towel or toilet paper, even used a cotton glove once.
Massis

Post by Massis »

kamkiel wrote: I just wrapped it in toilet paper
talking about appropriate packaging for a pipe turd :lol:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

caskwith wrote:I have been blasting for several year now and have never needed that kind of adjustment, in fact I rarely change the pressure much.
In other news, in addition to the crankiness :lol: , this comment surprised me the most. I can't imagine not changing the pressure when blasting. I'm tweaking it constantly, and by tweaking, I mean swings of 100psi. Each piece of wood, even different parts of the same piece of wood are so different, that blasting isn't a one-pressure-fits-all-process for me. I like craggy blasts though, so maybe it's the desired end result that changes the approach.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm like Chris, I set the pressure at 120 psi 2 years ago and I haven't moved it since. You want a bit less? Move the gun back. Don't blast as long. But the idea that I'm every somehow better off at a lower pressure just hasn't crossed my mind. Because I blasted at lower pressures for years, and it sucked shit.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!