Shaping tools

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
WillAndersonpipes

Shaping tools

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

I was wondering if anyone here regularly uses something other than a sanding disk for initial shaping? I was researching alex florovs work and read that he primarily uses chisels for shaping. I just wanted to get a little insight into some other good tools for shaping more ornate pieces.
Ratimus

Re: Shaping tools

Post by Ratimus »

I did my first few pipes using a Dremel with a sanding drum bit. Works fine, but you do get absolutely covered in briar dust.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by sandahlpipe »

I usually start with a 36 grit disc and then use an 80 or 120 grit belt on my 1" belt sander. I then use a combination of my slack belt sander, a 400 grit french wheel, and various files to fine tune the shape. I rough in the stems on the belt sander for the most part. I've used chisels and knives for some detail work, but it's not part of my usual process. Bottom line: use what you have available to you.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

sandahlpipe wrote: Bottom line: use what you have available to you.
This is important. Regardless of what your current setup is, there is no substitute for getting pipes under your belt. That being said, here's my method. Everyone is different, some drastically so. I turn what I can on the lathe while drilling. 40 grit wheel for shaping, 120 wheel for fine tuning, 220 wheel for getting scratches out and some fine tuning, then hand sanding from there. I'm in the process of adding a 320 wheel. There's usually about 5 minutes or less, if any, of file work to clean up transition points, usually before the 220 wheel. 1" belt sander to rough in stems, and fine tune with files before sanding.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/