Vermont Slot Funneling Tool - Help

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
brurobas

Vermont Slot Funneling Tool - Help

Post by brurobas »

Good afternoon guys!

Could any of you inform me of the blade diameter in Vermont Freehand's Slot Funneling Tool? I can only find the length but not the diameter.

Thank you very much.

Sweet Smokes
Bruno Robalo
sandahlpipe

Re: Vermont Slot Funneling Tool - Help

Post by sandahlpipe »

It's the exact proper diameter for a slot. ;)
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

aka just around 2mm
Charl

Post by Charl »

More like less than 1.5mm, I think. I use a 1.5mm bit for the funnel and the slot funneling tool of Steve fits comfortably and easily, without it being too tight.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Went to check: I measure it as 1.25mm.
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

Thank you for your answers! :)

I have found a store here in Portugal that sells these, with diameter starting in 0.5mm and going up to 3mm.

http://www.restaurarconservar.com/epage ... File-10%22

What do you guys think of these? The pattern on the file is a lot different than Steve's. Maybe it won't remove material so quickly but it can leave a smoother finish from it's use.

They are a bit pricey but i think i will try one considering that when ordering from the USA i have to pay for the high salaries of the customs officers :evil:
Charl

Post by Charl »

If I remember right, cut 3 is very fine. If that is all that's available, I would leave it.
That is, if you're idea is too use it for cutting the slot.
A modified saw blade would do a better job.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Charl wrote:Went to check: I measure it as 1.25mm.
That's strange, I've got 3 of them from Steve and none of them fit into a 1.5mm hole as far as I recall. I'll verify that when I get back home though...
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

In my next attempt to be useful I'll try to present the following in such a manner that even Tyler and George can follow along :lol:

Info on slot funneling tool as sold by Vermont Freehand.
Actual manufacturer/model: Kemper Tools/K-31 (Kemper is the maker of an extensive line of tools for working with ceramics). Their description: Zig-Zag saw.
I have two and they both measure .050 in diameter (1.28mm).
They also offer a model K-32 described as a heavy duty model but no diameter is given in their catalog. There is a visual difference in diameter between the two as shown in their picture.
I would guess that it is too big or Steve would be offering it. Call Kemper if you really want to know.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Or, you could just cut some lengths of Delrin rod to handle length, drill a 1" deep axial hole that's slightly smaller in diameter than the OD of the blade, and screw these it in:

http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/Saw-Blade ... 5-890.html

Wrap the handle with a bit-O-coach's or stage tape for a comfy, secure grip, and you're home.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:Or, you could just cut some lengths of Delrin rod to handle length, drill a 1" deep axial hole that's slightly smaller in diameter than the OD of the blade, and screw these it in:

http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/Saw-Blade ... 5-890.html

Wrap the handle with a bit-O-coach's or stage tape for a comfy, secure grip, and you're home.
Delrin? Axial? OD? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Please explain before I stun an elephant. :banghead:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote: Delrin? Axial? OD? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Please explain before I stun an elephant. :banghead:
My apologies, Red, I forgot you're from the north side of the Red River.

Delrin is fancy plastic that's cheap and comes in long cylindrical pieces called rods. Gotta getcha summa that.

Then lop it into 2" chunks with a saw.

Then take each piece a-that and drill a inch deep hole in the end of it, rat down the middle usin' wunna them twisty drill bit things. Choose ya one that's a coupla hunnerts smaller across than the spiral saw blade, then screw it in the hole---it'll self tap cuz it's sharp---and it'll stay put reel good.

Fine-ly, since Delrin is slippery stuff, wrap the handle with a few inches of some sort of cloth tape so's it's easier to grab.

Or, you could forget alla that crap and make yerself a jig that cuts perfect slots every time in a few seconds. That would probably be beyond ya, though. :mrgreen:
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

brurobas wrote:Good afternoon guys!

Could any of you inform me of the blade diameter in Vermont Freehand's Slot Funneling Tool? I can only find the length but not the diameter.

Thank you very much.

Sweet Smokes
Bruno Robalo
It is approximately 3/64".
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:
oklahoma red wrote: Delrin? Axial? OD? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Please explain before I stun an elephant. :banghead:
My apologies, Red, I forgot you're from the north side of the Red River.

Delrin is fancy plastic that's cheap and comes in long cylindrical pieces called rods. Gotta getcha summa that.

Then lop it into 2" chunks with a saw.

Then take each piece a-that and drill a inch deep hole in the end of it, rat down the middle usin' wunna them twisty drill bit things. Choose ya one that's a coupla hunnerts smaller across than the spiral saw blade, then screw it in the hole---it'll self tap cuz it's sharp---and it'll stay put reel good.

Fine-ly, since Delrin is slippery stuff, wrap the handle with a few inches of some sort of cloth tape so's it's easier to grab.

Or, you could forget alla that crap and make yerself a jig that cuts perfect slots every time in a few seconds. That would probably be beyond ya, though. :mrgreen:
OMG!! My head is spinning! So much to absorb. I see elephants and they are pink!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Actually, it would be a good time to post a few pics of your home-brewed slot machine. (get it? slot machine :lol: )
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

oklahoma red wrote:In my next attempt to be useful I'll try to present the following in such a manner that even Tyler and George can follow along :lol:

Info on slot funneling tool as sold by Vermont Freehand.
Actual manufacturer/model: Kemper Tools/K-31 (Kemper is the maker of an extensive line of tools for working with ceramics). Their description: Zig-Zag saw.
I have two and they both measure .050 in diameter (1.28mm).
They also offer a model K-32 described as a heavy duty model but no diameter is given in their catalog. There is a visual difference in diameter between the two as shown in their picture.
I would guess that it is too big or Steve would be offering it. Call Kemper if you really want to know.
Much better! :lol:

In other news, I wasn't just picking on you. The whole thread was a obfuscation masterpiece.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Who's Confucius?
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Charl wrote:Who's Confucius?
He's that guy who said, "Man who lose key to girl's apartment get no new key."
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods