Vermont Slot Funneling Tool - Help

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DocAitch

Re: Vermont Slot Funneling Tool - Help

Post by DocAitch »

oklahoma red wrote:In my next attempt to be useful I'll try to present the following in such a manner that even Tyler and George can follow along :lol:
They also offer a model K-32 described as a heavy duty model but no diameter is given in their catalog. There is a visual difference in diameter between the two as shown in their picture.
I would guess that it is too big or Steve would be offering it. Call Kemper if you really want to know.
That larger tool might be just the thing for opening the mouth of the draft hole so that you can pass a cleaner on those bent pipes where the draft hole and the mortise are on different axes. I have used Steve's tool for that but it is a little too flexible and can mar the mortise wall.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

LatakiaLover wrote:Or, you could just cut some lengths of Delrin rod to handle length, drill a 1" deep axial hole that's slightly smaller in diameter than the OD of the blade, and screw these it in:

http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/Saw-Blade ... 5-890.html

Wrap the handle with a bit-O-coach's or stage tape for a comfy, secure grip, and you're home.
I purchased some of these and they are different from the blades sold by Steve Norse. (longer spiral, fewer "teeth" per unit measure). They are also listed as "wax saws".
I will post my impressions when I cut my next slots.
I also plan to use InstaMorph for the handles.
DocAitch
Charl

Post by Charl »

I think the Kemper files are actually intended for use with wax, if I'm not mistaken.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

DocAitch wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:Or, you could just cut some lengths of Delrin rod to handle length, drill a 1" deep axial hole that's slightly smaller in diameter than the OD of the blade, and screw these it in:

http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/Saw-Blade ... 5-890.html

Wrap the handle with a bit-O-coach's or stage tape for a comfy, secure grip, and you're home.
I purchased some of these and they are different from the blades sold by Steve Norse. (longer spiral, fewer "teeth" per unit measure). They are also listed as "wax saws".
I will post my impressions when I cut my next slots.
I also plan to use InstaMorph for the handles.
DocAitch
I just bought a similar "wax saw" too. Mine should arrive within the next two days. I hope they work well. After I placed the order I started wondering if they're stiff or flexible. Are those kemper tools flexible?
Charl

Post by Charl »

There is a bit of flex. Ask Sas.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

They are flexible, but not too flexible.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Charl wrote:I think the Kemper files are actually intended for use with wax, if I'm not mistaken.
I'm sure the Kemper would work with wax but they are intended for ceramic greenware as are all of their various tools.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I was wrong then, thanks for sorting that out Red!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

The Otto Frei wax files have a looser spiral than the Kemper and don't cut as fast. Depending on how you put a handle on them, they can be considerably longer and they are stiffer. They will cut the ebonite. I got a couple of the larger diameter files, put a handle on one, and they can be used in funneling as well. The larger diameter file is at the top.
I used Instamorph to make the handles.
DocAitch