Choosing a sanding disc

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
MmmPeace

Choosing a sanding disc

Post by MmmPeace »

Alright here goes. I have been searching the forum for info on sanding
Discs And there is a ton of it! My problem is that I'm not sure what I mount the disc to! Does it go on my lathe? some of the videos I watch look like it is attached to a router that is inverted? I'm very new to this and as of now am using a sanding belt on my band saw, a disc shaper seems like the direction I would prefer to go. Thanks for any help guys, I love being a part of this forum!
Massis

Re: Choosing a sanding disc

Post by Massis »

most of us use a stationary motor with an arbor or jacobs chuck mounted to it. You can then mount a sanding disc to that...
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I have discs mounted both ways above.
Vermont Freehand sells the discs and an aluminum adapter that mounts on a 1/2" motor shaft. I use French wheels ( acrylic or aluminum backer disc with padding) in a couple of sizes.
I also have a Jacobs chuck and a Kobalt (Lowe's house brand) pad which is threaded but which works for a rough sanding disc for 40 grit discs.
The motors which I got on Amazon are 1/4 horse power 3450 rpm and ran about $100 a piece. I also have a salvaged sump pump motor (1/3 hp,1725 rpm) using the same type arbor for buffing and waxing.
You may be able to find used motors in a repair shop.
I can PM photos if you wish.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. Doc that would be awesome thank you!