New Beginner Carver

The place to make announcements of interest to the Forum members.
Silverfox

New Beginner Carver

Post by Silverfox »

G'day Everyone.
Much thanks to Kurt & Tyler for processing my application to join.
Having actually read the postings regarding membership, I must comment about myself.
I am a complete beginner to Pipe Crafting. I am actually a Gold & Silversmith of recent years but I have had some great deal of time invested in carving bone, horn and marine ivory for jewellery and netsuke. I can imagine that my carving skills will come in handy once I get the fundamentals down pat and move on to carved pipes. However, fundamentals first!!! I can imagine that my experience in making required tools & or modifying them will come in handy. Have had plenty of practice with this as Bone Carving tool kits are pretty rare, and I am not a ‘carve it all with a Dremel’ kind of bloke.
I have always been fascinated by hand carved pipes and thought it about time I should try myself. I should point out that I am wanting to learn this skill for my own benefit and enjoyment, not to make money (get rich quick scheme - I think not). Also here in OZ, pipes cannot even be displayed for sale in a public place anymore. I am here to enhance my own hand-skills, learn something new, and hopefully impart some knowledge to others when helpful & warranted.
I will do my best to use the search engine before posting a question (to hopefully find the other 1000 times it has been asked). However, I dislike sitting at the computer for long periods trolling through stuff when I could be out creating. Besides, the only stupid question is the one not asked!
Anyway, enough drivel for now! But I will say much thanks in advance to those Makers who give of their knowledge freely and openly, it is always appreciated, and returned when I can!!!
Regards to all members.
Silverfox
NSW Australia.
W.Pastuch

Re: New Beginner Carver

Post by W.Pastuch »

Welcome to the forum!
Goldsmith and bone carver? You're miles ahead from most beginners here, you'll learn the basics very easily, then it's all fun :)
Also here in OZ, pipes cannot even be displayed for sale in a public place 
Whaaat? Are you serious?? That's ridiculous.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

welcome to the forum.... I think you'll enjoy it.. just read, search for answers, and then ask ;-)
james
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Welcome. What has happened to Australia? So many aspects of living there have changed for the worse!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome to the forum. And enjoy reading!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Much thanks guys!!!
Silverfox.
aka: John.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Welcome mate! Have some fun in here and put your skills to work. They would especially be handy in making tampers.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

New required watching for the board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.