cavendash

Recipes and techniques for blending tobacco - wether home-grown or otherwise.
nepenthes

cavendash

Post by nepenthes »

so I have a Cavendash blend, but its not right for my new pipe, It is to dark of a tobacco is what I was told?

Any light tobacco that would work to blend the two together?? I smoke blue note out of it and it smokes GREAT... but the Salvineli Cavendash blend just burns to hot with the draw on the pipe I have now, because I get barley any smoke out of the pipe with out puffing like a freight train, or is this a wrong assumption?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's not that the tobacco is too dark, it's that the tobacco is too wet and full of moisturizers (like PG). The color of a tobacco usually has very little to do with whether it smokes hot and wet. If you're an aromatics fan, give some of Cornell and Diehl's offerings a try, they're typically much drier than other aromatics:
http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/aromatic_blends.htm
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
FredS

Post by FredS »

Try spreading 3 or 4 pinches out on a napkin for an hour or two, then have a go at it. If it's a "wet" tobacco issue, it'll dry pretty fast this time of year.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
nepenthes

Post by nepenthes »

oh, well I guess I wont be asking the workers at the place I buy my pipe tobacco at. Thanks Ill give that a Try
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Also, the cut may be thinner than you are used to. Often Cavendish comes in really thin long shreds. If you are not used to packing something so stringy, it's easy to pack too tight. If the draw is really restricted that way, you'll have a heck of a time trying to get any smoke through, and when it does, it'll bite you good. Try a looser pack, perhaps mix with some wider ribbon (VA is good with Cavendish) for better burning/packing characteristics.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I agree with the suggestion to mix with Virginia, I find a mix of 2/1 McClellands 5100 (red VA) and Cavendish is a pleasant aromatic. If the Cavendish is reluctant to dry out, let the VA dry out more than usual. For what it's worth, McClelland's Cavendish seems to have little in the way of stuff that makes/keeps it goopy. I've heard the same of C&D also.
nepenthes

Post by nepenthes »

thanks for all that Ill give it a Try!