To late to cure this season?

Once you've grown and harvested your tobacco, what do you do with it? Talk about it here.
nepenthes

To late to cure this season?

Post by nepenthes »

I started my tobacco way to late, literally I only planted them about a week and a half ago.

Is their still a chance for curing? They still aren't to big, I sowed them late too.

I live in The Dayton Area of Ohio
nepenthes

Post by nepenthes »

Well, what if it gets a little cold? I'm not sure I would have to check the temperature, but theirs a storm door in my basement, that I might be able to hang stuff in, but it does snow quite a bit where I am and I'm sure it gets cold in their. I will probably just hang it in the basement then. Any thing specific I should try to do? We do have a dehumidifier in the basement in the area I would hang it. would this be a problem?
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Why don't you consider developing some sort of curing chamber out of whatever you can get your hands on? You can build one out of plywood, but even easier than that is using an old refrigerator that somebody is throwing away.

Then, depending on the ambient room temperature and humidity, you would use some combination of heating pads or whatever and an air induction/circulation system to get the temperature inside the chamber to 80-100 F degrees (27-38 C degrees) and the humidity level around, like, 90 percent.

You basically want the inside of the curing chamber to feel like a warm/hot Summer day. And you do want to keep the air circulating enough to ward off mold. But other than that, there's not much else to worry about.