What a difference 3 weeks makes

Discussions on growing and cultivating tobacco.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

What a difference 3 weeks makes

Post by kbadkar »

This shot was taken two weeks after they were transplanted in the soil - June 26.

This was taken this morning, just three weeks later - July 18.

They're about 4 ft. now. About 1/3 have been topped already. These guys get nearly full sun. I underestimated how big they'd get, so they're a bit crowded.

This is an Orinoco, maybe a month after transplating, taken June 26.

It's over 6 foot tall now, just 3 weeks later - July 18th

Note that the Hungarian Szamosi was transplanted at the same time as the Orinoco, and it's about 5 foot. These guys get partial sun.

Anyway, I'm really amazed and excited to watch these guys grow up. Sorry, I feel like that annoying guy who insists on showing you all the pictures of his children in his wallet with long dramatic pauses between, in hopes of drawing out a compliment.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Wow, Kris, sorry I haven't been able to keep up with your posts, as I've been pretty busy with my day-job lately. But those are looking GREAT!
flix

Post by flix »

Kris,
You're the envy of just about all that grow their own! What an awesome crop!
--Michael
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

:D

Thanks, guys!

I'll post an update when it's around time to harvest the jungle.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Another 3 weeks later and I'm ready to harvest the bottom leaves. I already harvested 3 Tennesee Red Leaf plants to open up some room. The plants in the ground are Goose Creek Red, Orinoco, Tennesse Red, Burley, Hungarian Szamosi, Virginia Gold. This picture is 8 weeks after transplanting. Date: 8-8-08

That's my brother-in-law Tom standing by a Szamosi. He's 6'3" barefoot.

Just to compare, here's 3 weeks prior, Date: 7-18

Here's a few weeks after transplanting in the ground, three weeks before the last photo. Date: 6-26

The only problem now is that my curing shed is packed full and I don't know where to put this round of the harvest. I guess I have to research how to build a curing chamber.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Awesome!

So do you have that Jack-and-the-beanstalk feeling yet?
android

Post by android »

those look stellar. can't wait to see how it all cures for you... that's the next adventure. i can't believe how much those things grow when it gets hot. great work.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Well, it's another 3 weeks later and I've harvested 2/3rds of the beasts. This is about 11 weeks after transplanting:

Here's me standing next to them a couple days ago, before the last round of harvest:

I'm 6 foot even. I'm guessing the tallest, a Burley I let go to flower, is 9 foot now. Talk about Jack and the Beanstalk! It's hard to believe these plants came from the tiniest of seeds.

Here are 3 ft Orinoco and Burley leaves:

kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Well, another 3 weeks have past. All the plants in the picture are a second crop from the stalks of plants that were already harvested, except the burly burley in the middle that I let go to flower. I measured it the other day and it's now 10'-6". That's 6'-3" Tom in the picture for scale, doing his best Robert Duvall/Lt. Colonel Kilgore imitation.

pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Wow, that's amazing!

Yeah, I've figured out that tobacco is a perennial here in Houston, and I'm guessing it would be in LA, as well. Unless you dig up the roots, you'll probably have tobacco to last you the rest of your life.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Robert, did your crop survive Ike? ...and more importantly - I hope the home, girlfriend, and family are all well.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks for asking. Yes, we came through it pretty well, all things considered. We had a few downed trees, and a few of my tobacco plants got laid down, but no major property damage. Damn we were lucky.

On the downside, I was without electricity from the 13th through the 18th, when it was restored. Then on the 21st, a tractor trailer driver decided to test his theory that my street had "17 foot clearance". It didn't.

Took out the electricity for the whole neighborhood, and it's probably going to be 2-3 weeks before we get power back on. Normally it would only take a few hours to do such a repair, but with the local power company as far behind as they are, it's going to take a heck of a lot longer.

On the upside, though, I can get online at the library, and enjoy a little air conditioning while I'm doing it. So I'm not just totally dead in the water here.