Finally, some progress!

Discussions on growing and cultivating tobacco.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Finally, some progress!

Post by KurtHuhn »

The growing season comes late to Rhode Island every year. Nothing really seems to grow until the beginning of June, even if you started them as seedlings in February and stuck them under grow lights for 3 months.

With that said, it seems that growing season has begun in earnest. My little tobacco seedlings are *thriving* in this humid 90-degree weather, and have just exploded upward. My wife is going to transplant them for me today while I work on other things (the old honey-do list). I'm going to put some in pots to grow in partial shade, and some out in the garden proper to get full sun. We'll see how things pan out.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
android

Post by android »

cool! my seedlings didn't fare so well... i don't know if i overwatered or used cruddy soil or what... guess i'll have to wait until next year. good luck with yours.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Glad to hear that, Kurt. Yeah, it's wild how the growing seasons differ around the country. I think Smitty was already curing his tobacco about a month ago. And I have discovered that we can have perennial tobacco here in Houston. Seriously, I had sprouts coming up from last year's roots, and I just let a lot of them grow.