more vs. less sunlight

Discussions on growing and cultivating tobacco.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

more vs. less sunlight

Post by kbadkar »

Very strange, indeed. I thought tobacco plants like full sunlight, but I am finding that the plants in direct sunlight for short periods (approx. 3 hours a day) are bigger, greener, and appear healthier than those in full sunlight throughout the day.

Here a some pictures for examples:

These were transplanted first and are in direct sunlight for almost the whole day:

These were transplanted 2-4 weeks later and are in partial sunlight:

I have plenty more plants (sorry, no pics) and all seem to exhibit the same phenomena, comparing within the same variety and regardless of variety. On the plants in direct sunlight for limited hours, the leaves are greener and bigger, the plant is taller, and generally appears more healthy. Perhaps Southern California climate is too DRY and hot for full time sun. Has anyone had similar observations or opposite results?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Would it be particularly bad form if I were simply to acknowledge the tobacco, but ask about the truck? :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

The truck is a 1968 International 1200C 4x4; 304 cu.in V8; 112,000 original miles (never been rebuilt); big wench front bumper. It starts up with the first kick of the starter. It runs great and hauls some major sh*t... I've had 3 tons of gravel in the thing, and it barely touched the extra set of leaf springs for the truck bed. And it thrives in a full day of direct sunlight. It's a California truck, so the little bit of rust it has isn't a malignant form of cancer. If it wasn't such a hard working Ox (that's it's nickname), I might bother with restoring it. I love it... almost as much as my 1969 Mustang convertible!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I was told that if the leaves are turning yellow, prematurely than there is either too much or too little nuitrients for the plant. My only guess is that the plants outside in full sun are requiring mor food to grow during the longer periods of light and maybe they don't have enough. But the ones in partial light have enough for those conditions. If you want the plants to get bigger also you might want to go to bigger containers. Once the lower leaves are hanging over the edge of the container, the roots tend to get bound up and will restrict the growth. They need room. Other than that they look great. You are going to have a good crop.
Very nice rides Dude! :shock: 8)
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Thanks for the response Smitty. After seeing your plants and knowing you're well into the curing process already, I am encouraged to hear that my crop looks good to you. The part time direct sunlight ones are certainly thriving - some leaves are over 2 foot long and 18in wide!

About the yellowing leaves: I don't think it's a fertilizer issue, since I've been using Miracle Grow potting soil that should have enough for three months (it's been about 2) and those plants that appear yellowish started out that way from the beginning... so I'm not sure if it's genetic quirks or the constant sun exposure. I will do some "experiments" by adding fertilizer to some, leaving controls without; leaving some in the sun full time, moving the rest to part time sun, etc, and see what plays out.

I don't think those full sun plants are root bound. The buckets are 8 gallon, so it should be sufficient. It obviously is large enough for the monsters in part time sun. I will transplant some of the guys directly into the ground and see if that has a positive affect.

I really think that the direct hot sun and dry weather is tough on these big leafed plants. My theory is that the leaves are transpiring water faster than the roots can absorb it. When I've moved perfect healthy, happy, deep green, freshly watered plants from part time sun into full time, the leaves responded by wilting and shrivelling under the dry heat. I had to move them back. Whereas those that grew up in the full sun have adapted well (no shrivel), but have stunted growth. I believe the big leaf tobacco plant needs high humidity to survive the hot sun. Even the small leaf native varieties appear stressed in the sun - thick, tough, wrinkled, light green leaves, and early flowering - compared to the same varietes in part time sun.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Smitty wrote:I was told that if the leaves are turning yellow, prematurely than there is either too much or too little nuitrients for the plant. My only guess is that the plants outside in full sun are requiring mor food to grow during the longer periods of light and maybe they don't have enough. But the ones in partial light have enough for those conditions. If you want the plants to get bigger also you might want to go to bigger containers. Once the lower leaves are hanging over the edge of the container, the roots tend to get bound up and will restrict the growth. They need room.
Fertilizer did boost the plants in the full sun - a growth spurt and the leaves darkened up a bit, except the Virginia Gold and Burley, which are still yellowish to light green. I guess they are "bright leaf" varieties. But the same seeds in part time direct sun are definitely a darker green. My guess is that the nutrients in the soil were used up more quickly than the part time direct sun plants because the plants in the full time sun need watering more often.

The small 1 gallon transplants I put in the ground with nearly full time sun are responding very well - growing quickly with deeper green new leaves. I'll see how they compare to the potted ones after they have had equal time since transplanting. You may have a point about the plants getting root bound in the full sun. They may have to develop a larger root system to support the amount of water they transpire in full sun.

In a few weeks, I'll take pictures showing differing results within same varieties depending on sun exposure and other variables. Hopefully, someone will find this information useful for their own crop.