fermenting

Discussions on growing and cultivating tobacco.
android

fermenting

Post by android »

i'm curious if anyone has tried fermenting homegrown tobacco? from what i understand, it greatly improves the smoking quality and sometimes appearance of the tobacco. i also understand that to be done properly, you need a ton of tobacco to supply the weight needed to get the heat built up. so, i've been brainstorming how to build a box type fermenting chamber. i saw the one on coffinnails but i think that's more for a speed cure. just curious to know if anyone has experience with fermenting.

the connecticut shade is sprouting already, i hope the others aren't far behind...
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Did you see that Perique video on Google? There's lots of good information to be gleaned from that.

But I wouldn't think it would need to be that involved. In fact, I remember reading about a guy who claims to have done the same thing in a tuna-can -- just make sure you wash it good first. :P

He nailed the lid from the tuna-can to a round piece of plywood the same size as the lid and pressed his tobacco with a C-clamp. And if I remember correctly, he hung the deal upside-down so that the excess juice could drain out over time.

One of the neat things about doing a smaller press is that you will probably have your tobacco leaves "ripen" -- start to turn yellow -- a few leaves at a time. So doing a few leaves at a time, as they ripen, translates to "tuna-can" a lot better than it translates to "giant barrel".

Does that make sense?

I'm thinking about trying something similar, just to see what happens.
Nick

Post by Nick »

COOL!