Free Heirloom "Mopa Maya" Nicotiana Tobaccum Seeds

Discussions on growing and cultivating tobacco.
pierredekat

Free Heirloom "Mopa Maya" Nicotiana Tobaccum Seeds

Post by pierredekat »

My buddy Richard out in California sent me enough "Mopa Maya" tobacco seed to plant about 100 acres. Seriously.

I haven't found much literature on Mopa Maya tobacco, but my understanding is that it is an heirloom Nicotiana Tobaccum seed that has been used recently, by Richard and others, to roll cigars.

I have started to sprout a little to see how it does and what Mopa Maya tobacco is like.

But Richard and I want to see at least some of this seed put to good use, so PM me with your address, and I'll drop you some free Mopa Maya seed in the mail.
flix

Post by flix »

PM sent!
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Thanks again for the Mopa Maya Pierredkat! I put the into a clear plastic tub I got from the bakery at the grocery store. Loaded it with some potting soil on the 23rd, last Sunday. They are sprouting already! As is the Virginia :wink: The Havana is just starting to show signs of life. Too small to photgraph.
ImageThe Mopa Maya
ImageVA
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Glad to hear, Smitty.

Yeah, that Havana is sloooow to germinate, but once it starts to sprout, you'll start to feel like Jack and the Beanstalk.
Dane C

Post by Dane C »

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the seed. I finally got the Mopa and Havana in the "ground" last Thursday evening. I'm not so hip with the digital photo downloading and such but once these babies start to sprout that'll be my excuse to learn.

I had a package from the seedman of about 40-50 seeds of this Mountain Broadleaf and that sprouted within a day. It's amazing how these different strains grow.

Also, I'm looking forward to beating back that Havana, sounds like a good producer. I'm using this as an opportunity to show my 2 year old daughter how plants grow (totally deflecting the wife's argument about me wasting time :D )

Come on California sun, send down your shiny goodness!!!
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Finally got big enough to update!
Maya
Havana
Going to put them in the dirt soon!
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Lookin' good, Smitty. :wink:
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I was able to harvest my Mopa plants. The leaves were on the small side. They were much thicker than either the Virginia or Havana leaves from the same crop. My Mopa plants were planted behind the others along the fence and they got partial shade. I wasn't sure how tolerant of the Florida sun they would be. They had thick veins on all the leaves. I harvested them as they turned yellow and hung most of them in the shed, with all the other varieties. I saved a few of the biggest and dried them outside in the sun to see if I could get a bit more sugars out of them. I assumed it was going to be a harsh heavy smoke, considering the thickness of the leaves. They were quite sticky after about 3 days. :P
I brought them inside and dried them out for a few more days. I deveined them today and cut them up into small chunks.
I just finished my second bowl. Overall quite nice. A little sweet and leathery. Nice thick smoke with just a bit of tartness at the finish. I was surprised there was not a big nicotine hit on this stuff. I assumed it might be a ceremonial type Indian tobacco. I could not find much info on this type of tobacco. It was nice on it's own and I will try some more of it later. I think it would make a nice blend, like a Burley also. I have the majority stored in boxes for some aging and will have to see how that turns out. These were air cured in the shed so it might be totally different.
Thanks for the good time Robert! :D
MrChurchwarden

Re: Free Heirloom "Mopa Maya" Nicotiana Tobaccum Seeds

Post by MrChurchwarden »

You guys still smoking this? How did it age?
flix

Re: Free Heirloom "Mopa Maya" Nicotiana Tobaccum Seeds

Post by flix »

I never was able to get any of these seeds to grow to maturation. All my other seeds did fairly well, but, with the same methods Mopa Maya failed miserably.