Fading Gradient Stain?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Isakowitch

Fading Gradient Stain?

Post by Isakowitch »

Now, i've seen a lot of pipemakers use this sort of stain where it goes from black to red for an example. or green to black, or white the blue... and so on... I've asked a few aswell, and they all told me to experiment with it. Now that i have. i just havnt gotten a result i really liked yet, so i was hoping that some of you knowledgeable persons, might have a fool proof way to stain in a fading kind of look. almost like a gradient... Anyone? (i have checked the forums aswell, back to page 8, then i stopped, and began writing this post instead.)
Soft onions are usually more soft than onions that aren't soft.
Massis

Re: Fading Gradient Stain?

Post by Massis »

I would think it's achieved by sanding or blasting the base stain and then applying the topstain. I'm sure that's how it's done for many blasted pipes: blast the pipe, apply black/dark stain, lightly blast away the dark stain and apply topcoat. I figured it would work the same on a smooth if sanded correctly...
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Use an airbrush. It'll probably take some practice to figure out the process to achieve the look you are going for.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

On a smooth pipe this is achieved by sanding till your hands cramp
Switching to a finer grit and repeat step one :)
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

pipeguy wrote:On a smooth pipe this is achieved by sanding till your hands cramp
You won't achieve a perfectly graduated finish with sanding. An airbrush is really the only way to get a perfectly faded stain with no sanding lines or unevenness.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

scotties22 wrote:
pipeguy wrote:On a smooth pipe this is achieved by sanding till your hands cramp
You won't achieve a perfectly graduated finish with sanding. An airbrush is really the only way to get a perfectly faded stain with no sanding lines or unevenness.
+1