UV Powder?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Isakowitch

UV Powder?

Post by Isakowitch »

I want to create a very unique look for a series of pipes of mine, and found this https://www.amazon.com/Glow-Powder-Wate ... B00HAS56SQ that popped up when i searched for Heat resistant UV powder. My question is, is it safe to put on a pipe?
Soft onions are usually more soft than onions that aren't soft.
DocAitch

Re: UV Powder?

Post by DocAitch »

It looks like this is to be mixed with a medium such as linseed oil or perhaps latex and used as a paint.
I suspect that you would have to view the surface under UV light to see the glow and I am assuming it will have to go on pretty thickly to get a glow in the dark effect)
As for safety, the little blurb claims “safe technology”.
I cannot conceive that anyone that I know who smokes a pipe would be interested in this finish. If you are amusing yourself, fine, go for it. If you are hoping to sell pipes, I don’t think such an innovation is going to go very far.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Fiebing's yellow is pretty kooky under uv.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Isakowitch »

DocAitch wrote:It looks like this is to be mixed with a medium such as linseed oil or perhaps latex and used as a paint.
I suspect that you would have to view the surface under UV light to see the glow and I am assuming it will have to go on pretty thickly to get a glow in the dark effect)
As for safety, the little blurb claims “safe technology”.
I cannot conceive that anyone that I know who smokes a pipe would be interested in this finish. If you are amusing yourself, fine, go for it. If you are hoping to sell pipes, I don’t think such an innovation is going to go very far.
DocAitch
Thanks, it will be have to be painted unto the pipe as a kind of sneeze effect. and i think that i might be able to find someone that is interested in this sort of pipe finish. Besides, i want to think outside of the box and not be like everyone else, i want to make new sorts of pipes that hasnt been seen before, i understand your concern though.
Isakowitch

Post by Isakowitch »

Ratimus wrote:Fiebing's yellow is pretty kooky under uv.
Thanks, im looking to create a sort of galaxy effect though, so itd be best if i could find something that lights up in darkness though... Also, it will be painted on in a kind of sneeze effect if you get me, so i'd need to be more creative than just covering the whole pipe... I think doc is right in that matter, that its gonna look bad if its all glow in the dark, however, moderately used i think it should come out quite good, i just hope i might be able to find a way to create the nebula/galaxy kind of effect i want.