Best way to get as vibrant colors as possible?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Isakowitch

Best way to get as vibrant colors as possible?

Post by Isakowitch »

Hello, im hoping someone can answer me on how i can get as virbrant colors as possible on my briar... Also, is there a possible way to bleach briar? I've heard it done before, but not sure how to look for the information on the hows, other than asking you honored pipemakers!...
Soft onions are usually more soft than onions that aren't soft.
dogcatcher

Re: Best way to get as vibrant colors as possible?

Post by dogcatcher »

I have no answer, but in the past I saw a green pipe, that the color was as vibrant as any I have seen. In my mind, I also believe there was an orange one. Unfortunately I only think I remember they were in the Gallery section of the forum. I did a search for both, and came up empty handed. You might try some of the woodturner forums.
Isakowitch

Post by Isakowitch »

dogcatcher wrote:I have no answer, but in the past I saw a green pipe, that the color was as vibrant as any I have seen. In my mind, I also believe there was an orange one. Unfortunately I only think I remember they were in the Gallery section of the forum. I did a search for both, and came up empty handed. You might try some of the woodturner forums.
Thanks, however, i'd need to specify that it would be for pipes, wouldnt wanna have a beautiful pipe but unsmokeable due to the colors being used ;-/ Have you ever tried staining with food colors though?
Soft onions are usually more soft than onions that aren't soft.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Food colors are water based. Try an alcohol based stain like Feibings and heat the briar wth a heat gun. This apparently helps penetration.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

I agree the Feibings alcohol based leather dye is your best bet. It comes in all colors of the rainbow, and it was probably the dye used in that green pipe I saw.