Uneven stain

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Pkspecial23

Uneven stain

Post by Pkspecial23 »

Hey guys,
In staining a stummel I got an uneven coverage. Does anyone know why this happens normally? How do I combat this?
DocAitch

Re: Uneven stain

Post by DocAitch »

I have similar problems. I apply with a makeup pad with only a small part wet with stain and immediately rub the stain with the dry part in to avoid overlap. This works OK, but I would be interested in hearing other methods.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I apply stain with a small foam brush or a fluffy pipe cleaner. Coat till the whole surface is saturated and then wipe off the excess. Key to an even stain is sanding.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Pkspecial23

Post by Pkspecial23 »

Hmmm. How much sanding should take place after staining? I understand it's probably a matter of preference, but like in general? Is staining then taking all or most of it off and then doing another coat regular?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Depends on when you start staining. There's a good bit of variation from one pipe maker to the next on this one. Some start staining after 320 grit sanding then sand with 400 grit, then stain again, then 600 grit, then stain. Some keep going from there to higher grits. Some stop at 400 grit, stain, then go to red tripoli. Play around with it and see what works for you. You can also play around with how much stain you remove with each grit. The only real thing is that you make sure to remove all of the scratches from the previous grit. The stain will highlight the scratches.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Pkspecial23

Post by Pkspecial23 »

Ok, sounds good. Thanks
Charl

Post by Charl »

makeup pad
:lol:
O the joys of pipemaking! We use nail files and earbuds and latex gloves and leather stain and tooth picks and ... All of it things that you would never ever think is needed for making a pipe!