Rustication technique - new guy experimenting

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Iantkoelle

Rustication technique - new guy experimenting

Post by Iantkoelle »

(If this post would get more critique in the image gallery, please let me know, or could a moderator move it? )

The better looking of the two was my first pipe and currently my only. The ugly duckling in the picture was a second block that I had. I wanted to try a few things (expecting to ruin something) so I used that one for a tester. I made a nail tool similar to others that I had seen.

How do you go about finishing the textured area without getting it packed full of crud? How terrible does the texture that I have achieved look?
Please tear it apart! I love the rough look from a nail tool over the texture that rusticating with a small round bit gives you, and ultimately I would like to make a semi large rusticated poker, so I need some advice!

Attachments
201605_211625-picsay.jpg
(121.96 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
DocAitch

Re: Rustication technique - new guy experimenting

Post by DocAitch »

I don't do any rustication, so this is based solely on what I've seen and my own aesthetic.
The flat spots/unrusticated/undisturbed surface area in between the nail strikes indicate to me that the pipe is not finished.
I have in mind a Castello that I owned years ago. the only flats were the areas where the imprint was masked.
Think of the rustication as the equivalent of a sandblast. It hits everything that is not specifically masked.
This is only my point of view, and I hope that the folks who do rustication chime in.
I like the other pipe, BTW
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

What The Good Doctor says is correct. You want to chew the briar up until you can't see any of the original surface. Then give it a good scrubbing with a wire brush to remove all the lose bits that are lodged in the crags. Stain it if you want, then add a few coats of thinned shellac. A quick search will yield many additional insights.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by oklahoma red »

Wire brushing is good or if you have the set up you can glass bead blast to clean it up.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you have a setup for a glass bead blast, you can also sandblast your pipe instead of rustication... :-)
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I use a small brass wheel on a dremel to clean up my rustication. Works well for me.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Iantkoelle

Post by Iantkoelle »

Thanks guys. I get some more digging and it looks like one of the most popular mistakes is exactly what I did. Which was not going far enough!

Sandhal-your apples are awesome! I'm really into your style.

Mightysmurf - I have plenty of those, so I will have to try that out. Also, I really like the poker on your website gallery!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

sandahlpipe wrote:If you have a setup for a glass bead blast, you can also sandblast your pipe instead of rustication... :-)
Quite true. However sometimes the flaws can be ugly enough that blasting alone won't make them any less ugly whereas rustication will help.
Put some makeup on that pig. :D