Dry buff after carnuba?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
clickklick

Dry buff after carnuba?

Post by clickklick »

What is the general consensus on this? Is it wise to hit a smooth finish with a dry buff after applying carnuba?
I would imagine that eventually the carnuba just builds up on the dry buff so that you are negating the effects, but I am still trying to learn everything I can.

I'm fairly happy with the gloss I get without using a dry buff, but I see glasslike shines sometimes and have to wonder. I know it may be easier to get a glasslike shine if you spray shellac the pipe as opposed to brush shellacing it, amongst other things. But was curious if the dry buff after carnuba will really make a difference?

And yes, I know I could do it myself and experiment, but I don't have an extra dry, clean buff. And would need to order one depending on the input i get here.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
Massis

Re: Dry buff after carnuba?

Post by Massis »

I do dry buff after carnauba, but it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to the finish in my opinion. It does help clean off any residu from white diamond on the stem.

I've recently started applying shellac with a pipe cleaner, letting that dry as a toplayer before adding carnauba, and that has really helped getting a more glasslike shine on it.
Still not the same as some of the high end top makers, but noticeably better!

Allthough the first one is a really good picture (in my skill) and the second one is just an average picture, here's a comparison:

this was just carnauba:

this was shellac & carnauba:
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Here is a link to a past thread that touches on this http://pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewto ... =35&t=5029

There is some good info on some other pipemaker's processes.

Kiel
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Thank you!
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

If you use a clean wheel between compounds, before wax, and after wax, it seems to give a bit deeper more even shine. it may not work for everyone. try it and see if it works for you.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Clean your wheels often to keep built up grit from scratching your finish, many overlook this and regret it!!!
Massis

Post by Massis »

pipedreamer wrote:Clean your wheels often to keep built up grit from scratching your finish, many overlook this and regret it!!!
what do you use to clean your wheels?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

pipedreamer wrote:Clean your wheels often to keep built up grit from scratching your finish, many overlook this and regret it!!!

Never once cleaned my wheels, just replaced them when they are worn out.

As for a dry buff, you are much better if you can get a variable speed setup, then you can apply your wax at a higher speed (I use about 1000rpm on 12" buffs) and then slow it right down to bring out the gloss (about 500rpm on 12" buffs).
Massis

Post by Massis »

I've cleaned only my tripoli wheel, using a piece of wood with a sharp corner to heavily polish. The difference in polish you get before & after such a cleaning was rather dramatic. Too much buildup of tripoli is since something I try to avoid on my wheel...
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Use a buffing compound that has less wax in it and you will not get such bad build up.

I must make a change to my previous statement after what you said, when I have been buffing and I have caught a bit of metal such as a band and it starts to turn the wheel black I have used the sharp edge of a block of briar to get rid of excess black compound on the wheel. Not often I need to do this. I guess that would class as cleaning of a sort.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

They make buffing rakes for the purpose of cleaning buildup on wheels. Chris is just lucky. Sell them on amazon!!! :roll: