Aromatics

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
tigercasual

Aromatics

Post by tigercasual »

As it turns out, I've never really explored the world of aromatics. I jumped straight into english blends and never looked back. However, I've always loved the way aromatics smell, so I've decided that the time has come. In other words, I'm looking for recommendations.

Any suggestions to get me rolling?

Cheers,
TC
Ratimus

Re: Aromatics

Post by Ratimus »

Lane's 1Q is the aromatic. Number one selling baccy in the U.S. You can probably find it in bulk at your local tobacconist, possibly under a different name.

I like Hearth and Home's Classic Burley Kake. It's got a light chocolatey/anise casing but still plenty of nutty burley flavor.

Also, you might want to check out Sutliff's South Seas. It's a bit different, being "tropical" flavor, but the casing is not overpowering when smoked. It too offers some good burley flavors underneath the casing.

Of course there's like a million different aromatics and everyone's got their opinion. These are the ones I tend to recommend to friends who ask about aromatics.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by sandahlpipe »

In addition to those mentioned, the middle earth blends from Just for Him are decent. I'm not an aromatic smoker because I really don't like casings, but those are tolerable.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

My favorites that I smoke regularly is Reiner's Professional. Good stuff and good quality tobacco with a flavor the tastes like it smells which is unusual for most aromatics. Dan Tobacco also sells some good quality aromatics. Dan's DaVinci is the other aromatic that I always have around.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

Good recommendations. I'm keeping a list and will be making a tobacco store run in the near future. Keep 'em coming.

Cheers,
TC
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

Wayne: Reiner's Professional sounds great but is a little too rich for my budget. I will, however, try one of the Dan's.

Ratimus: All are on my list

Jeremiah: I need to look into those

Thanks!
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

If you want to try something totally different, try Stanwell's "Melange"
Stanwell also make a decent vanilla blend.

You could also try Peter Stokkebye's "Higland Whiskey", if you want to try a whisky blend. It comes in bulk, and it's very cheap.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

my new favorite aromatic is McClelland's Penmans Choice or Master Penman's
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

Brian: Both on the list.

Vermont: Where can you buy the two Penman blends?

Cheers,
TC
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

the Penmans I got at the Chicago show this year, but I think they are on the market by now, just not sure where yet, google would know
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Vermont Freehand wrote:the Penmans I got at the Chicago show this year, but I think they are on the market by now, just not sure where yet, google would know
They are on smokingpipes.com.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
Nalbonepipes

Post by Nalbonepipes »

I’m a big fan of every Boswell aromatic I’ve smoked. Took a trip to their store in Chambersburg and they’re stand up people too. Great service in store or on their website.