Daughters & Ryan?

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Ocyd

Daughters & Ryan?

Post by Ocyd »

Anyone try any of these blends? I know they were a ryo then started doing pipe tobacco. I looked around a little and found a couple widely differing opinions, but only a couple because that's all there seem to be. I mean some of it looks interesting and you can get a 14oz bag for around $20. The thing is though with the way shipping has been going it's not like be able to try any of it before the sale ends and for the couple of things that caught my eye I can save the money and get a good amount something I know I already like.

so....?
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Re: Daughters & Ryan?

Post by jjpipes »

I found this helpful and picked up four bags, after more reading I wish I had picked up six.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/384/d-r-tobacco
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Damn you pipe tobacco. Just when I already thought I spent my tentative budget for the rest of the year. Anyway I ended up getting a bag of the Ramback Balkan and the Picayune because I haven't tried things like those before and even if I don't immediatly fall in love with them the variety is nice to have. I aso picked up a tin of escudo and haddo's delight to see what all the fuss was about. So it all ended up just being curiosity in the end.

On another unrelated note I found a jar of the bargain tobacco I bought when I first started, that I thought "hey that's not bad", and my palette's been ruined for it. I'm sure nothing happened to it it smelled nice in the jar but tasted incedibly bad
andrew

Post by andrew »

Go slow with the Haddo's... slower than normal.

andrew
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

andrew wrote:Go slow with the Haddo's... slower than normal.

andrew
I've read some stories, but is it going to be that much different from say the Jackknife plug? maybe I should've gotten more of that instead or the triple play (that got a whole lot better just sitting in a jar for a couple months)
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

The bags arrived

Picayune: is pretty damn good but strange. It does hit the spot you get from smoking mostly sweet mellow Virginias but damn is it spicy. I don't know that I'd say it's really strong just a bit shocking at first. It smokes well in a cob. I can see how it'd be something you'd regularly want after you get use to it. So I'm glad I got the bag for future use. Another thing I found kind of surprising is for all the spice there was no bite at all even if I tried pressing it hard. It'll definitely cure me of any lingering inhaling habits I had from smoking cigarettes. Ah! I just figured out why the scent out of the bag was so familiar it's part of the flavor of this tea I use to make with straight lemon juice and crushed red peppers and some water, makes me sweat the same way too.

Ramback Balkan: I dunno maybe I'm just not an orientals kind of guy or the subtlety of exotic tobaccos is just lost on me. Wasn't bad but it'll probably just go into jars on the off chance my tastes develop or change.

So yeah for a blind experiment 50% love is,.. okay?

Tried the Haddo's it's pretty good after I got past the tin note (damn that liquer smell is strong) it's really mellow maybe it needs to air out some for the flavors to develop. It was really packed in there tight.
AdamCordray

Post by AdamCordray »

Recently had a chance to chat with Mark Ryan at the Chicago Pipe Show, and also picked up a few samples of his tobacco. He's very upfront about how dry his tobacco is, and the tins are 40grams. To paraphrase his words, he's not going to charge you for 40 grams of tobacco and 10 gram of water. Even though they seem to have started out as roll your own, I haven't seen their stuff in tobacco shops around me. Of the samples I have tried, really enjoyed Ryback. Nice shag cut mixture of burley, Virginia and dark fired Kentucky. I also really enjoyed the Virginia mix "Windsail". Haven't tried the Picayune, but seeing that Mr. Ryan owns L.A. Poche Perique, it's probably very good stuff.
For me, the prices are just too reasonable to pass up trying a few ounces.