I've recently converted

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Ocyd

I've recently converted

Post by Ocyd »

No it's not really one of them religious things but it maybe sorta like one of them suedo cult dealies like Saturn owners from the turn of the century was it or was it the late 1900's? Anyway I quit smoking cigarettes not long ago and switched to just the smoking a pipe. It's not like I smoked a lot relatively speaking, generally half a pack a day or so for years and was planning on cutting back.

There have been things I've been noticing though. The same amount of tobacco (a pound) roughly 2 something cartons of cigarettes which would have lasted about a month (more or less) at the rate I smoke, is now I'm estimating going to last me around half a year :shock: for about the same price as 3 packs of the brand I use to smoke. True it's probably not the best tobacco or maybe even particularly good by pipe smoker's standards but it's comparable to the brand I was loyal too. So now I can and want to try all kinds of different types and flavors which I would've never considered before, since I'd already found the brand that was least distasteful to my pallet. It's funny how for so long I was just sticking with what I disliked the least instead of searching for something I'd truly enjoy. I did get some proper pipe tobacco to try out and it mind boggling how it was actually delicious and soothing to just sit there and space out since it took so long to finish, rather than the running out to grab a quick puff while I could that I usually did before. Sorry for the ramblimbing it's just strange changing a near life long habit.

I dunno maybe I should've posted this in the miscellaneous section. If I could go back in time among other things I'd tell myself to realize this stuff sooner and buy myself a recliner for the back porch :banghead: Oh yeah having a pipe to mess around with is nice because when a cigarette is done it was kinda sad since there's nothing left to do but properly dispose of the remains. Actually I think I will post it in the miscellaneous section.
wmolaw

Re: I've recently converted

Post by wmolaw »

Ocyd wrote:No it's not really one of them religious things but it maybe sorta like one of them suedo cult dealies like Saturn owners from the turn of the century was it or was it the late 1900's? Anyway I quit smoking cigarettes not long ago and switched to just the smoking a pipe. It's not like I smoked a lot relatively speaking, generally half a pack a day or so for years and was planning on cutting back.

There have been things I've been noticing though. The same amount of tobacco (a pound) roughly 2 something cartons of cigarettes which would have lasted about a month (more or less) at the rate I smoke, is now I'm estimating going to last me around half a year :shock: for about the same price as 3 packs of the brand I use to smoke. True it's probably not the best tobacco or maybe even particularly good by pipe smoker's standards but it's comparable to the brand I was loyal too. So now I can and want to try all kinds of different types and flavors which I would've never considered before, since I'd already found the brand that was least distasteful to my pallet. It's funny how for so long I was just sticking with what I disliked the least instead of searching for something I'd truly enjoy. I did get some proper pipe tobacco to try out and it mind boggling how it was actually delicious and soothing to just sit there and space out since it took so long to finish, rather than the running out to grab a quick puff while I could that I usually did before. Sorry for the ramblimbing it's just strange changing a near life long habit.

I dunno maybe I should've posted this in the miscellaneous section. If I could go back in time among other things I'd tell myself to realize this stuff sooner and buy myself a recliner for the back porch :banghead: Oh yeah having a pipe to mess around with is nice because when a cigarette is done it was kinda sad since there's nothing left to do but properly dispose of the remains. Actually I think I will post it in the miscellaneous section.

Haven't smoked cigarettes in almost thirty years. I smoked Camel regulars back then, and Players. I have to say, pipe tobacco is so much better, such higher quality, and so much cheaper than cigs (even the top of the line brands), it's just not funny!

I probably have enough to last my lifetime, my children's lifetimes, and their children's lifetimes. And I'm going to order some more today!

Smokingpipes.com, you are an addictive damn place!
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Haven't smoked cigarettes in almost thirty years. I smoked Camel regulars back then, and Players. I have to say, pipe tobacco is so much better, such higher quality, and so much cheaper than cigs (even the top of the line brands), it's just not funny!

I probably have enough to last my lifetime, my children's lifetimes, and their children's lifetimes. And I'm going to order some more today!

The pipe tobacco I tried that I liked was McClelland N0. 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake. Do you have any recomendations based on that?
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Ocyd wrote:

The pipe tobacco I tried that I liked was McClelland N0. 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake. Do you have any recomendations based on that?
Here's a nice site.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/726 ... tured-cake

That's pretty much a straight Va., so sure. SG Full Va. Flake, is great. If you like a little casing, Gawith and Hoggarth rum flake is good. SG Navy Flake, Mayor Chocolate.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/220 ... late-flake

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/553 ... late-flake

Try different kinds. If you like a flake presentation, which I so, and prefer pretty much pure tobaccos, which I also do, there are a million out there!

SG is always a great tobacco, though I don't like their aromatics. C&D also is a great blender, as is McLelland and Gawith & Hoggarth. The choices are almost endless!
Yak

Post by Yak »

Deleted as irrelevant.
Last edited by Yak on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Yak wrote:FVF is very good stuff. But age it at least 2 years before you open the tin. Otherwise it's going to underwealm you.
Certainly better aged, no doubt about it.

What i forgot to mention as well is that SG flakes are almost ALWAYS we as hell right out of the tin. A bit of drying time prior to packing and lighting will facilitate and enhance your experience.
BobR

Post by BobR »

Ocyd wrote:
Some of these have perique but I think you'll like them. Here are a few. You have no idea what you're getting into. :lol:

McClelland 5100 Red Cake
Rattrays: Old Gowrie
Marlin Flake
Reiner Long Golden Flake
Orlick Golden Sliced
McCranies Red Ribbon
McConnell Red Virginia and Scottish Cake
Hamborger Veermaster
Bob
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Every pipe smoker should have at least 50 lbs. of tobacco, in a pleasing variety. Not counting the hundred or so tins aging.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I am glad you have been converted, you've stepped into the realm of quality tobacco. I relate your experience with a lot of the "staple" items in the diet of the average american. We have destroyed the special qualities of consumables in favor of bigger quantities and cheaper prices. Look at American macro beer(anything with light in front of it), American cheese, American cigarettes, and white bread. These are all good things with the life sucked out of them. I Am glad there has been A resurgence of micro brew beer and pipes, and im glad you and I are a part of it!
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Thanks for all the suggestions I'll start looking into them asap. It's hard to imagine buying tobacco I won't smoke for years but I guess it really is a completely different beast.

Fuchi_jeg except in the case of cigarettes where it's smaller quantities and exorbitantly higher prices. It looks like it's going to be fun, so much stuff I want to look into.
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Hmm I think I may not be a huge fan of Latakia tobacco. The flavor and feel are okay but that smokeyness in the smoke is kinda overwhelming, like when you're sitting around a camp fire and the wind turns on you.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

I smoked cigarettes for 45 years and just quit this year. I have been smoking a pipe for around six months and really enjoy it. I like the latakia blends but I have settled on the virginia/ perique blends especially the C&D bayou night, maybe being an ex cigarette smoker pushed Me in that direction. Give it a try, it might work for You, Norm.
Yak

Post by Yak »

Smoked unfiltered cigarettes from 1962 (age 14) to Dec.27, 2013 (H1N1 flu attacks the lungs specifically). Bloody hell, & equally bloody hell to stay quitted, but the worst is over. Good pipes & good tobacco (British until GLP came along) since 1975 on the side for pure enjoyment of the taste. (They will have BSVa10 in the afterlife, I'm sure, so the separation, painful as it is, is only temporary. Since then, it's been like a a happy re-marriage after the tragedy of the love of your life dying prematurely).

Starting out, as you're probably finding, is really difficult. There are so many kinds of tobacco, for one thing. And when you only have a few pipes, they all end up tasting like everything you've smoked in them (called "ghosting"), making it really difficult to get a handle on what any one of them actually tastes like by itself. Plus, tinned tobacco (that's any good to begin with) improves as it ages, provided it's either left in the tin or jarred with a good seal & left undisturbed. This is years we're talking about.

For an example. Virginias (and Virginia-based tobaccos) are different creatures after 2 years, again after 5, and again after 10. They're like red wines are. And to complicate that even further, like wine, they need some air time (in a jar, so they don't dry out) after they're opened (uncorked) to wake up and taste like themselves. (Newer guys are chroniclly flabbergasted when it turns out that stuff they initially didn't like or weren't much impressed with have become amazing after being put aside in a ball jar for a while.

end part one