Oriental Tobacco

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
GPipe

Oriental Tobacco

Post by GPipe »

Hi guys, I'm discovering that I like the taste of oriental tobaccos however I've only had a few that I've sampled. The only two I've tried so far is Stokkebye's "Oriental Supreme" and Frog Morton On the Town.

What makes an oriental blend different than other english style tobaccos? Can you recommend other oriental blends to sample (bulk or tin)?

I don't smoke every day and have mainly been smoking W.O. Larsen's "Signature Blend". I used to live near a well stocked smoke shop that allowed you to bring in a pipe and sample the tobacco, so at that time I had a better sense of what tobaccos I liked. In order to re-familiarize myself with some of the different ingredients I recently purchased a variety of 1-ounce bulk tobaccos. This is when I tried the Oriental Supreme. Then last week an acquaintance gave me half a tin of Frog Morton and I loved it.

thanks in advance,
Brian
NathanA
Site Supporter

Re: Oriental Tobacco

Post by NathanA »

Daughters and Ryan has a blend called Ramback that is all Oriental. I tried it at the Vegas show last year. Its pretty tasty.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
AlfaDog

Re: Oriental Tobacco

Post by AlfaDog »

I grow my own. My favorites straight up in a pipe is Bursa and BSS-Maden. I also like Izmir and Bitlis. I also use them in my own blends. If you have space for a few plants give a visit to www.fairtradetobacco.com and learn how to grow and blend your own. It's an excellent complimentary hobby to making pipes. Smoking tobacco you've grown in a pipe you've made is awesome.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Oriental Tobacco

Post by mredmond »

McClelland has their Grand Orientals series, most of which are VAs with a specific oriental added. Each blend has a different type of oriental. I've had the Classic Samsun, which I liked. I'll try the others one of these days.