Reconstituting tobacco

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
TRS
Site Supporter

Reconstituting tobacco

Post by TRS »

I bought an eBay tin of Fairmorn 'Dark Fired Shag' recently. Luckily I got it on the cheap, because the seal had completely failed and all I've got is a dry brick of tobacco. Anyone have tips on a simple, quick method of making it smokeable again? Thanks
mredmond
Site Supporter

Reconstituting tobacco

Post by mredmond »

I posted a similar question on SF a while back. Greg Pease recommended putting the tobacco in a stainless steel bowl and covering the top with a damp paper towel, so that it isn't touching the tobacco at all. As the paper towel dries, wet it again. It may take a few cycles but the tobacco should rehydrate. I haven't tried it yet, but if Greg Pease says it works I'm inclined to go with it. Hope this helps.

Micah
Nate

Re: Reconstituting tobacco

Post by Nate »

mredmond wrote:I posted a similar question on SF a while back. Greg Pease recommended putting the tobacco in a stainless steel bowl and covering the top with a damp paper towel, so that it isn't touching the tobacco at all. As the paper towel dries, wet it again. It may take a few cycles but the tobacco should rehydrate. I haven't tried it yet, but if Greg Pease says it works I'm inclined to go with it. Hope this helps.

Micah
I have done the same using a sealable 'tupperware' container, works a lot quicker than the open-air ss bowl. Usually works in one treatment, maybe two for really dry tobacco.

You want the paper towel wet but not dripping. I wet the towel and then ring it out. Fill the tupperware container with your tobacco, apply the towel (as noted, not touching the tobacco) and snap the lid down. Leave it for 12-24 hours and see how the moisture level is. Adjust to your own moisture preference.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I finally got around to trying this and it worked great. Thanks for the tips guys!