Three Nuns also biochem issues?

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
GastonI

Three Nuns also biochem issues?

Post by GastonI »

Not so sure about this one.

Was at the tobacconist yesterday and on the shelf they had cans of villiger: 1886, Cocktail Hour, with a little label thing above it stating it was three nuns. being as that I had heard something of it just not sure what and where I picked up a tin.

The smoke was terrible and gurgle-y no matter what I did, for the most part it didn't smell to bad but the notes and flavor were hard to identify, also
I think I have issues with identifying sweetness in pipe tobaccos. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Also for some reason I only taste tangy bits nothing actually "sweet" in all the aromatic and Virginia blends that I have smoked so far.
any one else have a problem with that? I mean they smell all well and good, but the sweetness that I smell is definitely not what I'm tasting.
Sasquatch

Re: Three Nuns also biochem issues?

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, I'm guessing the tobacco you picked up is supposed to be like the famous 3 nuns. Sounds like it isn't.

Both the problems you are experiencing - wet/gurgle and no flavor, especially no sweetness, relate to smoking too hot. If you get the burn too hot, you literally burn up all the sugar, and you are left with smoke that is made of, well, ash, water, and CO2. Not too nice.

Pack the pipe more loosely than you think you should, and smoke the pipe more slowly than you think you should, and both problems will probably go away.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

GastonI wrote: I think I have issues with identifying sweetness in pipe tobaccos. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Also for some reason I only taste tangy bits nothing actually "sweet" in all the aromatic and Virginia blends that I have smoked so far.
any one else have a problem with that? I mean they smell all well and good, but the sweetness that I smell is definitely not what I'm tasting.
I smoke more english than VA, but I used to smoke english exclusively. When I first started sampling VA's I had the same experience as you. They all tasted very flat: no sweetness at all. The killer was they all smelled sweet, but that didn't translate into flavor for me. Of course the worst part was that they bit like a mofo (as we say in my "hood"). Given time and exposure that changed for me, and I enjoy VA and even VAPer's now.
GastonI

Post by GastonI »

well at least now I know that I'm not just abhorrent. though I never did imagine there would be a "acclimation period" for this sort of thing.

Thanks for the reassurance now I just have to keep puffing away .... Although I do love me some perique