Smoking?

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Nate

Smoking?

Post by Nate »

What is in your pipe? What are you smoking right now?

I'm enjoying the McClelland's revival of Ashton's Black Parrot in a GBD Prestige zulu. Quite a nice flake, I'm really liking it!
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Smoking?

Post by TRS »

McClelland's 'Legends'. Exquisite.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Legends is really good.

Right now I'm battling some tins I got from Pipestud: A vintage paint-can of WO Larsen "The Master's Blend" Kentucky Gold, which in the right pipe (Il Ceppo) is wonderful, and in the wrong pipe (Peterson) is rough for some reason. I also got two little boxes of an aromatic made from 10 kinds of tobacco (aren't they all?) and topped with creme de cassis, made by Dan Tobacco, apparently.

They're both good. The wife really hates the Kentucky Gold though. :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice stuff!! I will be smoking St Brüno and Three Nuns later. I'm heading out to Wayne's (finally) to get some work done on the cherrywood I am making. Maybe start another pipe or 2 as well. Wayne hasn't had either blend, so it will be fun to share and get his thoughts on them.
Nate

Post by Nate »

F&T Vanners Mixture in a GBD Garland prince
Nate

Post by Nate »

JFH Shortcut to Mushrooms in a Svendborg brandy while on break at work.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Hi Nate,

Please forgive the lack of postings in this thread. I know for me as I work from my home office, which is also my main pipe and tobacco repository, I smoke all day long. So I would be updating this thread about 10 times a day and never get any work done :)

Fwiw, as I take my morning work break I am finishing up a bit of aged 5100 with a dash of Perique mixed in, in one of the poker variants I made last year that work well to just flop down on the desk when I need to type:

Cheers,
Billiard
Nate

Post by Nate »

billiard wrote:Hi Nate,

Please forgive the lack of postings in this thread. I know for me as I work from my home office, which is also my main pipe and tobacco repository, I smoke all day long. So I would be updating this thread about 10 times a day and never get any work done :)

Fwiw, as I take my morning work break I am finishing up a bit of aged 5100 with a dash of Perique mixed in, in one of the poker variants I made last year that work well to just flop down on the desk when I need to type:

Cheers,
Billiard
No need for apologies Billiard! This is just a thread to see what everyone else likes! Interesting pipe man!! 5100 with Perique sounds like it would be pretty nice. Right now I've got F&T Vanners Mixture in a Jirsa 4 Star bent paneled egg.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Is Vanner's any good Nate? I've come very close to ordering it a number of times. What stops me is that it isn't Mac Baren Club Blend, and that's a huge obstacle for me when I order. "I could have Vanner's, BlackJack, Kingfisher, Elizabethan, Tudor Castle, Grey Havens and Scottish Cake, or I could have 6 tins of Club....."
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
billiard

Post by billiard »

I am going to be without computer or access to most of my pipes for a spell so here are my last two smokes until I come back:

First Voo Doo Queen by Altadis. Yep Altadis, universally beat up by the pipe forums but Voo Doo Queen rocks in my world and I care less what others think :D I am smoking it in one of my best junk store finds. This is a Sasieni one dot with the serial number on the stem showing it is one of the few imported into the US in the 1920's. They asked for $2.00 for this pipe (pic after my restoration). A wonderful smoker:

Then loaded up, ready to go, as soon as I log off to sit and ponder a spell is a home blend of FVF, 5100, and a small shot of Perique which was pressed and then jarred in Nov '09, in a bash (another restoration) that I really enjoy:

Cheers all until I get back online,
Billiard
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:Is Vanner's any good Nate? I've come very close to ordering it a number of times. What stops me is that it isn't Mac Baren Club Blend, and that's a huge obstacle for me when I order. "I could have Vanner's, BlackJack, Kingfisher, Elizabethan, Tudor Castle, Grey Havens and Scottish Cake, or I could have 6 tins of Club....."
It's not too bad, but nothing superb. I would give it 2.5-3 stars of 5. I would rather have BlackJack as Vanners has cavendish. The cavendish is light though, and the overall smoke is quite mild. It can bite if you freight train it, but if it is puffed with a bit of care it's pretty nice. I think other than Vanners, I'd rather have every blend you listed ;)
Nate

Post by Nate »

billiard wrote:<Snip> I am going to be without computer or access to most of my pipes for a spell so here are my last two smokes until I come back:

First Voo Doo Queen by Altadis. Yep Altadis, universally beat up by the pipe forums but Voo Doo Queen rocks in my world and I care less what others think :D I am smoking it in one of my best junk store finds. This is a Sasieni one dot with the serial number on the stem showing it is one of the few imported into the US in the 1920's. They asked for $2.00 for this pipe (pic after my restoration). A wonderful smoker:

Then loaded up, ready to go, as soon as I log off to sit and ponder a spell is a home blend of FVF, 5100, and a small shot of Perique which was pressed and then jarred in Nov '09, in a bash (another restoration) that I really enjoy:

Cheers all until I get back online,
Billiard
Nice pipe Billiard! And I too like Voodoo Queen. Not a 'top ten' but I still enjoy it once and awhile to mix things up. I have found a few Altadis blends I don't mind. The 'Billiard Mixture' sounds pretty nice!
Nate

Post by Nate »

SG FVF in a Peder Jeppesen grade 5
LAH

Post by LAH »

Finally got the courage to give Haddo's Delight another try. Seeing as how a year ago this tobacco kicked my ass real good. Now I'm prepared with a stomach full of food. So far so great.

Abe
mredmond
Site Supporter

Smoking?

Post by mredmond »

Haddo's kick my ass, too. I like it, but it jacks me up.

Right now, I'm smoking Key Largo in a Steve Morissette billiard. KL is an interesting English blend with a touch of spicy, earthy cigar leaf. It's good stuff.

Micah
Nate

Post by Nate »

mredmond wrote:Haddo's kick my ass, too. I like it, but it jacks me up.

Right now, I'm smoking Key Largo in a Steve Morissette billiard. KL is an interesting English blend with a touch of spicy, earthy cigar leaf. It's good stuff.

Micah
Mmmm Key Largo.... :D I have a tin or two in my cellar, I like that stuff!

As for moi, I am smoking McClelland's [Oriental] Mixture No. 6 in a Mario Grandi poker. Yum.
NeroWolfe

Post by NeroWolfe »

Tilbury in a Paolo Becker Poker....with some Talisker, neat....Fine evening !!!
Nate

Post by Nate »

McClelland's Black Sea Sokhoum in a Simeon Turner Killer Bee acorn
Nate

Post by Nate »

NeroWolfe wrote:Tilbury in a Paolo Becker Poker....with some Talisker, neat....Fine evening !!!
I will own a Becker one day........one day......
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nate wrote:McClelland's Black Sea Sokhoum in a Simeon Turner Killer Bee acorn
Now in a FredS prince.