pipe tobacco and cigar recomendations...

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
DrThunder

pipe tobacco and cigar recomendations...

Post by DrThunder »

Hey guys, I'm just recently (few months) getting into pipe making and pipe smoking, (and first post here, this site has been a tremendous inspiration and help as a lurker, can't wait to be more involved!) so far, my absolute favorite tobacco (by a long shot right now) is Shortcut to mushrooms, I was very surprised by this as I liked the smell of my sweeter blends better, (I was actually shocked I havent enjoyed more vanilla based tobaccos as I love the smell)but found the lasting flavor and earthy-smoothness of shortcut amazing, my question is I'd kind of like to try cigars, but have NO experience with them, I was wondering if someone could recommend me a good cigar that I may like based on a brief insight to my tastes so far...also a recommendation on any pipe tobacco that is similar would be greatly appreciated as well!

edit: thought I could give a little more background to help, I've gotten most of my tobacco from Tewksbury Tobacco company out of Denver, including their "Hobbit's Weed" blend as well as maraschino cherry, hot buttered rum, custard's last stand, I've also tried captain black and all of the middle earth series all of these have some good and bad qualities for me, the stuff from tewksbury I tend to receive pretty bad tongue bite, but they are definate "room pleasers", the middle earth series was definately more up my alley, with shortcut and probably ruins of isengard beign my fave, I also just received a can of frog morton across the pond but have not had a chance to try it out yet. thanks again

Thanks in advance, and a late thank you to everyone who has unknowingly helped me so much the last few months :notworthy:

Josh
Sasquatch

Re: pipe tobacco and cigar recomendations...

Post by Sasquatch »

Josh, Shortcut amounts to what is known as a "transitional english" - it's got latakia in it, and enough to be almost dominant, but it still has some kind of top flavoring so it doesn't smell like a tire fire.

There are some good and some bad ones out there of this ilk. Check out any or all of the following: Frog Morton, Frog Morton on the Town, Benjamin Hartwell's "Chesdin" (All are actually by McClelland, all are soft-treading latakia mixes). Ramped up a notch, grab a tin of Presbyterian - still gentle, still kind of sweet. This is on sale at 4noggins right this second.

Spilman Mixture is another that's worth checking out, and the price is right too. Maltese Falcon from GL Pease is real good....

If you want a bit more oomph, more latakia, less topping flavors... Old Dublin from Peterson, British Woods from McClelland.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
DrThunder

Re: pipe tobacco and cigar recomendations...

Post by DrThunder »

thanks sas, tons of places to start, I'd really like to know if its the latakia note or something else in shortcut that im diggin, appreciate the fast response
:thumbsup:
Josh