Questions about taste and smoke-ability

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
MrChurchwarden

Questions about taste and smoke-ability

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Hi guys, I'm a pretty green pipe smoker, and just have begun smoking. My problem is, I have tried a lighter aromatic and a pretty run of the mill english (so says my local tobaccoist, I have no idea really) and I am finding I love the english full flavor to start, but by the end it seems to let me down. On the flip side, I can smoke the aromatic full on through, but it seems not as flavorful in general. Suggestions on the practicality of mixing the two? Also, maybe suggestions on what type of a blend to try? I am switching from once in awhile cigar smoking to pipes, and mostly smoked things like Acid brand cigars if that makes any difference. I really wanted something that could last longer and be left and come back to and still have flavor to it. (plus leave a better taste in my mouth afterwards).
Dixie_piper

Re: Questions about taste and smoke-ability

Post by Dixie_piper »

The taste toward the end may be coming from smoking too fast or too hard. Takes a good while to "develop" your smoke style, and it sometimes has to vary with the type of tobacco you're smoking. Moisture could be an issue as well.
I say all that because as a former/current cigarette and cigar smoker, I favor the "tobacco" tasting blends. I had the same issues in the beginning, not realizing that after a few minutes I'd be puffing away trying to keep it lit, resulting in awful tongue bite, gurgle and an all around displeasing experience. If it wants to go out, no biggie, let it sit for a moment and re-light. This I had trouble accepting, but the fact is, it happens.
As far as blends, I have a very limited palette, but I've grown fond of Carter Hall. Yeah it's cheap, but it's readily available and I prefer it over some of the "higher end" blends." Not to mention that moisture content is usually pretty good straight out of the pouch, and it ages well.
P.S.- I'm mailing the book tomorrow, forgot. Sorry :oops:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

There's tons of suggestions out there on "how to smoke a pipe", but the truth is that a truly great experience comes with practice. I know that's not something that cigar and cigarette smokers like to hear, but it's true. Find your own pace, the style of pipe that appeals to you, and a tobacco you love to taste. After practicing and learning by experience, things just sort of fall into place. Trust me, your patience will be rewarded.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Dixie_piper wrote: P.S.- I'm mailing the book tomorrow, forgot. Sorry :oops:
no problamo, sort of a gift horse type situation man.im only appreciative :thumbsup:
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

yeah and I think it might have been a moisture thing as well as packing. another go in a couple days...