New York City Bans ALL Flavored Tobacco

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

New York City Bans ALL Flavored Tobacco

Post by SimeonTurner »

Wow...

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news ... d-tobacco/

How utterly sad and disappointing!

I guess I had better start to plan ahead and begin developing my medical marijuana pipe making business, since the tobacco pipe business will soon become extinct. I wonder if there is a market for finely crafted straight grain bongs...
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
dogwood

Re: New York City Bans ALL Flavored Tobacco

Post by dogwood »

that's terrible. i hope MA doesn't follow suit or any other states for that matter.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

What you guys aren't taking into account is the positive outcome this will have; the day it goes into effect every child in New York will be safe forever. I, for one, am quite tired of not only roving gangs of pipe-smoking teenage hooligans, but the countless millions of children killed each year by clove cigarettes and flavored cigars.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:What you guys aren't taking into account is the positive outcome this will have; the day it goes into effect every child in New York will be safe forever. I, for one, am quite tired of not only roving gangs of pipe-smoking teenage hooligans, but the countless millions of children killed each year by clove cigarettes and flavored cigars.

:) While I appreciate your sarcasm, I find this trend particularly irksome (I know, I know so does everyone here). I could abide it if there was some rational basis for it, but like so many things in "poopular" culture this is driven by fear tactics. Oh yeah, and a strong dose of "Truth" from the ad campaigns.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Yup, tobacco makes a great scapegoat and a superb basis for a 'sin tax'. I think it's ironic that they're banning less addictive tobacco products because they think they're 'gateway' tobaccos, and essentially saying "Kids, if you're gonna try smoking, you're gonna try it with a REAL f*ckin' cigarette!"
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

this doesn't include cigars right? i can't imagine nyc politicians and businessmen living without cigars.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This is for flavored tobacco of all kind, even cigars. So if you live in NYC and like, say, Middletons Black and Mild cigars, soon you likely won't be able to find them there unless there's a tobacco shop near you that qualifies as a "tobacco bar". Certainly you won't find them in your local drugstore or convenience store.

The funny thing is, the definition of "tobacco bar" is very vague - requiring only 10% of revenue to be from sales of tobacco and humidor rentals.

And Menthol cigarettes are exempt from the measure.

Because kids just can't resist the allure of vanilla cigars and shit. And since it perfectly legal to sell them to kids, and none of them would ever think of smoking a menthol cigarette, and they all know that cherry cigars are the the really real shiznit.... Oh, wait. :banghead:

But, if you ask me, as nefarious as the intentions are it's likely that the measure will change nothing. In fact, it sets itself up to be challenged in court on basis of merit, among other things. For starters, the way it's written will make it unlawful to carry flavored tobaccos even if you own a "tobacco bar" if you opened after December 2001. While I'm sure there is legal precedent somewhere (I've seen more retarded things than that) it's a prime candidate for a challenge because it could potentially drive lawful business out of NYC - or out of business entirely.

And let's think about this for a moment. The law doesn't limit tobacco cigarettes of the most popular type. Years ago when I managed a convenience store (yeah, this goes way back) the most popular tobacco product for underage folks to ask for was Kools or Marlboro Menthol. Vanilla cigars or cigarillos? Not on your life - they wouldn't be caught dead with those. Chewing tobacco or snuff was about as popular as freeze dried cat shit - kids know that it's disgusting the instant they see someone walking around with a "spit cup", and even most adults pass on that for similar reasons. The convenience store would rotate expired stock of that stuff out more often than it would sell it.

So what does this affect? Pretty much if you want chewing tobacco, snuff, flavored cigars, kreteks (and clove-flavored cigs), flavored pipe tobacco, and pretty much any flavored tobacco product of any kind, you have to go to a store that has been in business since before December 2001 and is dedicated to the sale of tobacco products and services. In other words, patronize your local brick and mortar tobacconist.

If you're a teenager and you want your Malrboro Greenbox, continue going to the corner convenience store.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
restever99

Post by restever99 »

What the hell?! I live here and haven't heard of this! What the hell?! What's going to happen to Nat Shermans? Davidoff? All the others?! This is ridiculous!!!

And check me if I'm wrong but isn't all tobacco flavored? I mean anything you can stick in your mouth is flavored! :filth-n-foul: :filth-n-foul: :filth-n-foul: :filth-n-foul: :filth-n-foul: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
When life hands you lemons, light your pipe and contimplate what to do with those lemons.
GBMorris

Post by GBMorris »

Does anyone know if there's been any follow-up or challenge of this legislation?

Greg
Jack of all trades, master of one.