Puffy lid on mason jar

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Jthompson1995

Puffy lid on mason jar

Post by Jthompson1995 »

When I visited Germany earlier this year I purchased some motzek curly strang. When I got back home in mid late July I put about 3 ounces of the rope into a mason jar to cellar. I was going through my cellar last night and noticed that the lid on the jar was puffed up and wouldn't go down when pushed. I have heard this happens over time with some tobaccos but did not expect it this fast. I did not see any signs of mold or deterioration.

Do I need to be concerned? Should I release the built up gas and re-seal quickly? I don't really think the glass will break but don't want to have something happen if I can prevent it.

Thanks.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
sandahlpipe

Re: Puffy lid on mason jar

Post by sandahlpipe »

Unless you see mold, you've got some good aging going on there. I would be really surprised if the glass could break from inside pressure. That it is happening so soon sounds like good luck to me!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Thanks Jeremiah. I'll keep it as is and hope for some sweet smokes from it in the future.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

If it was a new flat on the jar and you cranked it down really tightly the jar probably sealed. That can happen, especially with a new flat, even without putting a jar under heat. Don't worry about the jar breaking, mason jars are amazingly strong.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com