Group Ebonite buy

A place for businesses to post advertisements selling the raw materiasls for pipe making. (Briar, stems, rod stock, exotic woods, etc.)
bregolad

Re: Group Ebonite buy

Post by bregolad »

I'm interested. 3m of black, please (22mm).
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

kkendall wrote:
e Markle wrote:Oh,
If you're buying from SEM, I'm less interested. I'll still keep tabs on this thread though.
Same here - if it's SEM, I won't be interested.
It's already been established we are going with NYH. (Unless we don't make minimum, which seems unlikely at this point.)
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Just curious for curiosities sake.. as I don't really mind either way.. why not SEM? The only product I've not been enthusied about from them is their new cumberland.. (as Chris Mentioned Janzen's is better)

tks
james
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

jogilli wrote:Just curious for curiosities sake.. as I don't really mind either way.. why not SEM? The only product I've not been enthusied about from them is their new cumberland.. (as Chris Mentioned Janzen's is better)

tks
james

Two reasons: 1) NYH's Cumberland, and 2) We can all buy from SEM at any time with no minimum order. For most of us, the only opportunity to buy from NYH is in a group buy to meet their minimum order. Otherwise, I would be just fine with SEM. In fact, I plan on ordering some larger diameter rods from them at some point.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

kkendall wrote:
If you're buying from SEM, I'm less interested. I'll still keep tabs on this thread though.
I am pretty certain they decided on NYH Kim :)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

caskwith wrote:
kkendall wrote:
I am pretty certain they decided on NYH Kim :)

We are going with NYH so long as we have enough to meet the minimum order. I'm keeping a tally on the original post to this thread.
Wayne Teipen
mredmond
Site Supporter

Group Ebonite buy

Post by mredmond »

Sign me up for 2 black and 2 Cumberland. Thanks, Wayne! You're doing a bang up job!

Micah
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

in that case, 4 black, 2 cumberland
billiard

Post by billiard »

Dunno if it is worth the hassle to you, but if so, I will do 1 black.

Thanks,
Billiard
LAH

Post by LAH »

I'll go with 5 black and 3 cumberland.

thanks,
Abe
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

*3 black please* :)
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I hate to be "that guy" but, well... here goes.

I'd be more interested in 18 mm size simply because so much of the 22's end up as shavings. Most of my stems are around .600" - .625" and 22 mm (.866") means a lot of waste. I'll certainly still buy some 22, but I'd be very interested in 18's.

Not exactly sure what I'd get right now, but in 22 mm I'd probably take 6 black and 3 cumberland. If we do 18 that would change things, but I'd do at least 10 of each in the 18 mm size.

Oh, yeah - anyone else interested in a larger size, say 35 - 45 mm?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

e Markle wrote:I hate to be "that guy" but, well... here goes.

I'd be more interested in 18 mm size simply because so much of the 22's end up as shavings. Most of my stems are around .600" - .625" and 22 mm (.866") means a lot of waste. I'll certainly still buy some 22, but I'd be very interested in 18's.

Not exactly sure what I'd get right now, but in 22 mm I'd probably take 6 black and 3 cumberland. If we do 18 that would change things, but I'd do at least 10 of each in the 18 mm size.

I'm afraid that if we go for 18mm it would just diminish our 22mm totals and then we wouldn't meet the minimum requirements for either. For me, 22mm is the smallest I would want. I would be interested in big stuff though if there is enough interest and we make our other minimums. We would need a minimum of 13 35mm rods and 9 45 mm rods.
Wayne Teipen
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

e Markle wrote:I hate to be "that guy" but, well... here goes.

I'm with you Ernie. Id prefer some 18mm myself. I waste a lot at 22mm. But these war club makers need their material, and I proposed 22mm in hopes of getting enough interest. :P

I'm thinking I'm 2 and 2 at this point. Funds are low. After all my talk, I hope that's a helpful enough amount. :D

Tyler
nolo

Post by nolo »

I was in for 2 black, 1 cumberland in 22mm

But, if there is enough interest in the 18mm rod, I would switch that to 3 black and 2 cumberland. If you don't need the extra size, you are paying 13 euros more to make chips per rod. Sorry to complicate things.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I would be very interested in the 18mm size as well. Probably 2 black and 1 cumberland
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

If everyone else wants to overhaul it, I'm okay with 18mm too. They fit handsomely in my collet chuck and it helps me support Ernie in being 'that guy'. We'd just have to order more....
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Wayne, do we have a general idea what our price range is likely to be, per rod? Ballpark?
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

wdteipen wrote:
Tyler wrote:
fuchi_jeg wrote:im in for at least 2 black and 1 cumberland. The price seems the same as buying from pme, except you are getting a 40" length, rather than 20" at pme.
In all likelihood, PME is paying the same price we will be.

So for the guy who preached twice today, helped a friend move from a third-floor apartment, and then helped a friend who is opening a fly shop organize flies...what's the cost/rod? I'm sorry if I missed it, my brain works not any now.

Tyler
At the 8/15/11 exchange rate:

22mm rough black ebonite = 37.96 EURO = $54.11 USD
22mm rough cumberland = 41.52 EURO = $59.18 USD
Here is for the 22mm Simeon, likely less for 18mm if that is what you mean.

I was hoping for 22mm myself. But if it goes to 18mm I'll just go less on this order and get from SEM on my own. But whatever we go with, we need to decide, I have been on the side if this Wayne is on, and it's tough to do it if it keeps changing. Big props to Wayne for undertaking this task!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I think 22mm is more versatile. At this point we will stick with 22mm.
Wayne Teipen