Stabilized wood source

A place for businesses to post advertisements selling the raw materiasls for pipe making. (Briar, stems, rod stock, exotic woods, etc.)
TRS
Site Supporter

Stabilized wood source

Post by TRS »

Does anyone have a good source for larger diameter stabilized wood blanks? I've been hunting for them for stem inlays and shank extensions; the largest I can find, for the most part, is 3/4". This is fine for most stem inlays I think, but i'd be more comfortable with something a tad bit bigger, more room for error and whatnot. I've checked out a lot of penmaking websites and stuff, but they seem to be creatures of 5/8" and 3/4" stock. Oh, and I don't have anything like a Rockler or Woodcraft anywhere near me. Thanks
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Stabilized wood source

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sometimes the easiest way is to find the wood you want, and then send it off to be stabilized:
http://www.stabilizedwood.com/

Other than that, I've had good luck trolling eBay.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Look for knife handle slabs. They come in a variety of exotic woods and most are already stabilized. They will come in slabs 1/4" to 1/2" thick by around 1.5"x5" or in Blocks about 1" thick. Usually beautiful burls and birdseye or spalted woods. You can find them many places but here is just one

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.ph ... 87_827_603
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Thanks guys. I'd sorta glanced at the knife blanks before but dismissed them as too thin; I didn't realize they sold them in the thicker blocks.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Knife blanks come anywhere from .25" thick on up to big blocks 1.5" thick or bigger. I forgot about those - thanks Phil!

I picked up some stabilized buckeye burl blocks that were tri-color dyed about a year ago. I haven't done anything with them yet, but I just had to have it. The contrast in the grain is amazing.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I've used this company for a few years now and really like them. I have bought boxwood, amboyna burl,olivewood and many others, great company:
http://www.exoticwood.biz/index.htm
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
DMI

Post by DMI »

Stabilized wood is basically impregnated with a resin hardener, go to a hardware store and by some wood hardener for rotten wood.

Take your thin slice of wood and soak it overnight then allow to dry for 48 hours. If you can find a way to put the wood and resin in a pressurised container it will penetrate better, I use a 60psi airbrush compressor and modified jar.

Stabilized wood should not be exposed to temperatures above 135 degrees C as it will give of toxic vapour.

David.
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »